• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Here we go again

jar546

Forum Coordinator
After taking off about 2 years from the BCO business and have just been doing plan review and inspections. I am officially starting back up again as a municipal employee to run the building department. February 10th is my oldest daughter's birthday and my first day back on the job. I have been working as an inspector/plans examiner contractor in this municipality for the past year so they had 1 year to evaluate me. I did not apply for the job when they posted it 3 months ago and they approached me. I could not turn down the offer.

Last edited:
Whats Chris gonna say? "Going over to the dark side again?"

Congrats!

I am doing just the opposite I will be leaving municipal as the BCO inspector on Friday and going back to the private side doing inspections on Monday after 13+ years.

Jeff.

Enjoy the dark side - politics and political pressure are a bummer - for the most part, employees are decent and try to do the right thing. It is when they start becoming unhappy that BS tends to happen - including fireable offenses for employees.

Just be sure to stop and reevaluate yourself and the entity you are working for when warning signs start to appear in employee performance. Otherwise, it will be a rough patch for you.

Jeff.

Enjoy the dark side - politics and political pressure are a bummer - for the most part, employees are decent and try to do the right thing. It is when they start becoming unhappy that BS tends to happen - including fireable offenses for employees.

Just be sure to stop and reevaluate yourself and the entity you are working for when warning signs start to appear in employee performance. Otherwise, it will be a rough patch for you.

Thank you. Agree 100%.

Yes, I plan on being a working BCO like I was last time. It is the best way to keep tabs on things plus it will get me out of the office.
So are you going to start your own thread about things you find in the field?