• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible laundry rooms

ean

Recently the door stop ( which has been there for the 21 years I have lived here) was removed from the laundry room door. I was told it was at the request of the HOA board. No explanation was given. Residents weren't asked for input, it was a fait accompli.

It is a heavy door that closes by itself.I am an elderly resident who uses a cane. With no way to keep the door open it is extremely difficult for me to enter and exit with my laundry.

What can I do? Who do I notify? Is this a violation?

If the door is off a fire-rated corridor, then door stops are not permitted since the door would be a required fire-rated door that must be closed. If the issue is a problem for you (and maybe other residents), you can request that they install a low-energy automatic door operator that would only require you to push a button (plate) to automatically open the door like many places of business use.

Is it an interior or exterior door? What state do you live in? In California the force for pushing or pulling open both interior and exterior hinged doors is limited to 5 pounds maximum. Door stops often interfere with the requirement for a smooth surface on the bottom 10 inches on the push side of the door (kickplate).