• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Knob and Tube Wiring?

mtlogcabin

SAWHORSE
We have a historical mansion that has an active knob and tube electrical wiring in the attic. Currently operates as a tourist/museum. The curators want to add fiberglass batts or blow in insulation in the attic which will cover the knob and tube wiring system. My gut says this is not a good idea but I don't really know.
I am looking for opinions or code or historical horror stories where this should not be done or is safe to do

At first i thought the historical aspect was behind their continued use of the k&t wiring, but then i realized that it will be hidden from view by the insulation ... so whats the point in keeping it?
If the k&t is visible to tourists who visit the attic, and they want to keep it as a feature, then convert to emt/romex below the insulation, and re-install the k&t above the insulation as an inactive component of the mansion.

In most cases states do allow the Building Official, the authority to detemain what structure or componant is unsafe.

Most will rely on a third party to do that, ie, Electrical Contractor.

Does amperage load figure into the equation?
1905 with only a 30A service feed, minimal appliances (frig., TV, minimal outlets) and lighting.