• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Kitchen of a Bed & Breakfast

Whats the difference between that, and a kitchen for a house with six bedrooms and lots of kids? I have a good friend that had 7 brothers ... 8 boys in all. I imagine there was a lot of food getting prepared when they were teens.

Whats the difference between that, and a kitchen for a house with six bedrooms and lots of kids? I have a good friend that had 7 brothers ... 8 boys in all. I imagine there was a lot of food getting prepared when they were teens.

Agree. Looking for a legal definition as it relates to codes and not to similar circumstance.

I would say could be

Nice answer

If I saw plans for a new b b and the kitchen looked like you could make anything a restaurant could, large commercial burner stove, deep fat fryers, commercial oven etc

Well I have my answer for my situation because the mechanical plans examiner is considering it commercial so for electrical plan review I will too.

If submitted under IRC and I didn't know it was a b&b then no. If submitted under IBC then I think it'd be hard to get out of it.

Domestic appliances or commercial appliances?

I think we have beat this horse to death regarding fire stations too.

From the IMC....If it is not IRC, it is commercial...

COMMERCIAL COOKING APPLIANCES. Appliances
used in a commercial food service establishment
for heating
or cooking food and which produce grease vapors, steam,
fumes, smoke or odors that are required to be removed
through a local exhaust ventilation system. Such appliances
include deep fat fryers; upright broilers; griddles; broilers;
steam-jacketed kettles; hot-top ranges; under-fired broilers
(charbroilers); ovens; barbecues; rotisseries; and similar
appliances. For the purpose of this definition, a food service
establishment shall include any building or a portion thereof
used for the preparation and serving of food.

Jeff...What part of the NEC specifically are you looking at? I don't think they use "commercial"....Isn't it "dwelling unit" or sleeping or non? 210.8 is dwelling unit or non-dwelling unit...

Jeff...What part of the NEC specifically are you looking at? I don't think they use "commercial"....Isn't it "dwelling unit" or sleeping or non? 210.8 is dwelling unit or non-dwelling unit...
There are the GFCI requirements for one that differ between residential and commercial along with the EF and hood requirements for starters.

I know CA is a bit different but:
CBC 310.2 Residential Group R-1- Boarding houses (transient) with more than 10 occupants
CBC 310.4 Residential Group R-3- Boarding houses (nontransient)
CBC 310.4.2 Lodging houses- Owner-occupied lodging houses with five or fewer guest rooms and 10 or fewer total occupants shall be permitted to be constructed in accordance with the California Residential Code.

CBC Section 202 Definitions: TRANSIENT LODGING. A building or facility containing one or more guest room(s) for sleeping that provides accommodations that are primarily short-term in nature (generally 30 days or less). Transient lodging does not include residential dwelling units intended to be used as a residence, inpatient medical care facilities, licensed long term care facilities, detention or correctional facilities, or private buildings or facilities that contain no more than five rooms for rent or hire and that are actually occupied by the proprietor as the residence of such proprietor.