• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit discharge from Interior Exit Stairway using Exception 1 (1028.1 exc 1) and Travel Distance

Cristy Bickel

Under IBC 2015: I have a rated interior exit stairway in a 3 story building that does not exit directly to the exterior of the building. Per Exit Discharge 1028.1 exception 1, if I have a sprinklered building and a free and unobstructed path to the exit, I can do this.
My question however is related to the maximum travel distance. No where in this section of the code does it say I have to add the length of travel from the interior exit stairway to the exit. Are maximum travel distances considered "per floor" meaning, I can travel 250' to the rated interior exit stairway and then once I exit this enclosure and head for the exit, I have 250' to make it outside? Or Is the travel distance aggregate? Do I add the travel distance to the rated enclosure and then from the rated enclosure to the exterior?

Are you complying with 1.2??

If so, my take is once you are in the rated enclosure,,, travel distance ends

So In away it would apply on the ground floor

But In away the ground floor should already meet travel distance

So at any point on the first floor, including where you walk out of the stair, travel distance is not exceeded

That is my layman explanation

Wait and see what others say

We wouldn't "restart" the TD measurement for that exception where you get to leave the enclosure.....But that is an interesting twist....How far is it to the exterior once you leave the stair?

We wouldn't "restart" the TD measurement for that exception where you get to leave the enclosure.....But that is an interesting twist....How far is it to the exterior once you leave the stair?

The ground floor should already comply with travel distance, no matter where you stand.

# ~ # ~ #

Christy Bickel,

Your answer lies in Section 1028.1, Exception # 1, Sub-section 1.3:

" The egress path from the
interior exit stairway and ramp on the level of exit
discharge is protected throughout by an approved automatic sprinkler system.
Portions of the
level of exit discharge with access to the egress path shall be
either equipped throughout with an
automatic sprinkler system installed in
accordance with
Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2, or separated from the egress
path in accordance with the requirements for the enclosure of
interior exit
stairways or ramps".

Meaning, that when an occupant exits the interior stairway enclosure and
headed for an Exit, they will be protected by the automatic sprinkler system,
or either an approved & appropriate fire rated enclosure must be provided.

No distance is mentioned, because [ IMO ] the distance will vary for different
structures and applications........The key is for the occupants to be protected
by either of the two methods stated in Sub-section 1.3 to get them to an Exit.

& * & * &