• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Unisex bathroom - Does it count toward minimum number of fixtures?

nealderidder

Sawhorse
In CA. The CPC requires min. number of toilets based on occupant load. If I've got an occ. load of 50 I can meet the minimum requirement for toilets with one single occupant unisex bathroom.

So in a larger building, when I'm figuring the overall requirement for toilets can I allocate 25 men and 25 women to the unisex bathroom and then provide fixtures per 422 for the remainder?

That unisex bathroom must be good for something, right?

No, for the time being. I don't know what the future CBC looks like but the future IBC/IPC will change things up a bit and permit alternatives like this. I will attempt to upload a file that I put together identifying those changes. Enjoy :)

Attachments

• 2018_2021 IPC 403 Changes.pdf
    50.5 KB · Views: 21
No, for the time being. I don't know what the future CBC looks like but the future IBC/IPC will change things up a bit and permit alternatives like this. I will attempt to upload a file that I put together identifying those changes. Enjoy :)

Interesting changes. This is saying that single-occ toilets count toward the total required but it doesn't really tell me how that works. Does a single-occ toilet cover X occupants or X male and X female? Maybe that will be handled in the tables...

It will permit "x occupants" in all occupancies except for those with male/female diversity (Group A - A-5, A-4, some A-3 and A-1, or approved by the building official as if for an all girls school). 2021 IPC Section 403.1.1 Exception 3 can benefit the total fixture count by not having to divide the occupancy in half first. Take an example of WC for business with an occupancy of 80. Current calc. divides occupants to 40/40. Each sex applies 1/25 for the first 50. This results in 1.6 WC for male and 1.6 WC for female. Round up. This will require a male toilet room with two WC and the same for female; 4 WC total. Using this exception, 80 occupants do not divide. 1/25 for the first 50 and 1/50 thereafter results in 2.6 WC. Here, 3 WC will satisfy 403.1.1 rather than 4 WC. Only caveat is that three single-user toilet facilities must be provided rather than one men's room and one women's room. Each single-user toilet facility shall be identified as being available for use by all persons regardless of their sex.

Now for a really interesting fact. Same parameters, except the occupant load is 50 (simplest example possible, but functional in more complex designs). 2021 Section 403.1.2 will permit two single-user toilet facilities in lieu of separate male and female toilet facilities. Agreed? The two single-user toilet facilities will be placed side-by-side in the business space, clustering them together. Now apply IBC 1109.2 Exception 3. This will require that only one of these rooms be accessible, not both. If these were identified as male and female, both would be required to be accessible.

CPC 422.2.2 Family or Assisted-Use Toilet Facilities Where a separate toilet facility is required for each sex, and each toilet facility is required to have only one water closet, two family or assisted-use toilet facilities shall be permitted in place of the required separate toilet facilities.

CPC 422.4 Toilet Facilities Serving Employees and Customers
[Not adopted for OSHPD 1, 1R, 2, 3, 4 & 5] Each building or structure shall be provided with toilet facilities for employees and customers. Requirements for customers and employees shall be permitted to be met with a single set of restrooms accessible to both groups.

I was in one office recently, and they had a couple of these "totos" (they are from Japam, originally, I guess), you know. Here, just for you to understand. And the toilet facility was not separated. I asked what's the reason, and they told me these toilets cost them too much o_O