• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Working After Hours

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I do not know about any of you but I seem to be able to get significantly more accomplished when the building department is shut down. either showing up very early in the morning before anyone gets there or as in the case last night, waiting till everyone left, getting some food delivered and going to town.

Attachments

• 9164919A-6AA0-40E5-8FCF-D1FC912E377E.jpeg
    9164919A-6AA0-40E5-8FCF-D1FC912E377E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
until I got help, I used to pile up all permit apps up until the office as closed and one day a week do all the permit review, no interruptions, quiet uninterrupted time. vary rarely an over the counter permit no mater what the job. Promises 2 week usually get back in 1, I have 30 day by regulation to approve or deny in writing, it the app is incomplete, the 30 day and 2 weeks grows

I am in the office between 5:00 and 5:30am daily. My work hours are 7:00 to 3:30. The office opens at 8:00am and it's a zoo. I leave at 9:00am and then, well I'm gone.

I get all of the busy work done before anyone shows up. Another reason for an early start is the traffic. I commute 34 miles and if I leave after 5:00am it takes an extra 20 minutes just to get to the freeway....and by then there's an aggressive breed of driver fighting for first place.

Last edited:
What?

“Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late. I use the side door – that way, Lumbergh can’t see me. After that, I sorta space out for an hour...I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I’m working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I’d say, in a given week, I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual work.” (office space)

Have you filled out your TPS reports?o_O

Once in a while if I have something big, I will come in on a Saturday, and knock it out in a fraction of the time I would have spent trying to get it done during the work week. Even with the half hour commute each way!

I am continually trying to find ways to convince the boss (and his boss, etc.) that real efficiency will take place when I can work from home. I can rip out reviews like nobody's business if I didn't have all the distractions and interruptions. So far its an uphill battle! But I am not giving up, one day I will get really sick, or break something, and they will see the benefit of remote review......

One day I will just branch out and do it on my own.

At most places it's just plain difficult to get work done during normal working hours when the office is open and everybody else's around. Too many interruptions of every type possible. You have to come in early or stay late to get anything done!

Reactions: ICE
Out of all ya who come in early, leave late, weekend review or home office review will that extra time be paid for, comp’d, leave early or added to time off???

Good question, these fellas must all be on salary and not on hours. I have so many hours for overtime, if all are used during the fiscal year I have to request for additional funds which could be denied.

Inspectors and plans examiners are hourly and work 4 10's. Office is open for only 8 hours so they all have 2 hours each day with no interruptions. We have a goal of turning SFR's Town homes and duplexes around in 10 working days. If we get overloaded I pay overtime or comp for the hours they work. They also have the option of blocking out time where they are not interrupted if needed.

Inspectors and plans examiners are hourly and work 4 10's. Office is open for only 8 hours so they all have 2 hours each day with no interruptions. We have a goal of turning SFR's Town homes and duplexes around in 10 working days. If we get overloaded I pay overtime or comp for the hours they work. They also have the option of blocking out time where they are not interrupted if needed.

Ya work 4-10’s, that’s been a want from our entire office for years. Kudos.

Out of all ya who come in early, leave late, weekend review or home office review will that extra time be paid for, comp’d, leave early or added to time off???
It depends .....on who you are...... who you know. There's a guy that has everybody running scared and he gets lots of overtime. I manage to almost balance things out without asking for overtime. Just today the office manager reiterated that we are required to take a lunch break somewhere near lunchtime. One greedy inspector ruined it for everybody....well almost everybody.

I don't work overtime unless an apocalypse level event occurs, and even then I resist with every fiber of my being.

Great system working 10’s and or even flex time. Finding ways for giving extra time to knock out stuff saves stress that can be experienced when stuff piles up. Then you have to ask yourself how much $ is worth the reduction in stress. It’s tough being a motivated worker.