• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit access Stairways and Ramps

Timothy C. Ryan

I am in New York State and we use the 2015 IBC.
I am looking at Section 1019 of the 2015 IBC. I have a second floor office space (two story building) that is permitted to have one exits (only 18 People) , with an NFPA 13 sprinkler system, I do not exceed the maximum travel distance (300') to the first floor Exit Discharge. In reading 1019.3 Condition #4 , Am I correct in assuming I do not have to have a rated enclosed stairwell as described in Section 1023 ?

I am in New York State and we use the 2015 IBC.
I am looking at Section 1019 of the 2015 IBC. I have a second floor office space (two story building) that is permitted to have one exits (only 18 People) , with an NFPA 13 sprinkler system, I do not exceed the maximum travel distance (300') to the first floor Exit Discharge. In reading 1019.3 Condition #4 , Am I correct in assuming I do not have to have a rated enclosed stairwell as described in Section 1023 ?

Is this the only space/tenant on this floor.

How many sq ft is the 2nd

1019.3 Occupancies Other Than Groups I-2 and I-3

In other than Group I-2 and I-3 occupancies, floor openings containing exit access stairways or ramps that do not comply with one of the conditions listed in this section shall be enclosed with a shaft enclosure constructed in accordance with Section 713.

I read you only have to meet one of the below, in order to not enclose.

I think you meet # 1.

In other than Group I-2 and I-3 occupancies, floor openings containing exit access stairways or ramps that do not comply with one of the conditions listed in this section shall be enclosed with a shaft enclosure constructed in accordance with Section 713.

I think you meet # 1.
Oh ! I didn't even see of that one, I was hanging my hat on #4

I think you meet # 1.
Thank you for your input