• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Clean room walls

rktect 1

Gold Member
I have a type 2b sprinklered existing building. B/F The front of the building is 5000 sq. ft. B use for offices. The other 100,000 sq. ft. is F . They want to install a 125'x33' clean room or 4125 sq. ft.. Steel structure, lay-in ceiling, sprinklered but the walls are basically 20 and 40 mil pvc clear floppy plastic like what you see in a grocery store at the loading docks except not cut vertically. Its located correctly. Means of egress are good. But this hanging pvc wall material doesn't seem right to me. Flame spread is 215 and smoke developed is 500.
So clear floppy pvc plastic 9 feet tall hung off of the top steel beams that runs the perimeter 125'x33' clean room.

Registered structural engineer submitted this.

If all of the plastic is exposed and works as finish, then it sounds feasible.....I'd have to look for a reason to deny it, but I don't think I would...At least not today...

Self supporting partitions in essence.

I agree that as long as it meets the Ch. 8 requirements, I'd be ok.

Hang up......... Section 3102 covers membrane structures.

3102.3 Type of construction
Noncombustible membrane structures shall be classified as Type IIB construction. Noncombustible frame or cable-supported structures covered by an approved membrane in accordance with Section 3102.3.1 shall be classified as Type IIB construction. Heavy timber frame-supported structures covered by an approved membrane in accordance with Section 3102.3.1 shall be classified as Type IV construction. Other membrane structures shall be classified as Type V construction.

Exception: Plastic less than 30 feet (9144 mm) above any floor used in greenhouses, where occupancy by the general public is not authorized, and for aquaculture pond covers is not required to meet the fire propagation performance criteria of Test Method 1 or Test Method 2, as appropriate, of NFPA 701.

3102.3.1 Membrane and interior liner material
Membranes and interior liners shall be either noncombustible as set forth in Section 703.5 or meet the fire propagation performance criteria of Test Method 1 or Test Method 2, as appropriate, of NFPA 701 and the manufacturer’s test protocol.

Exception: Plastic less than 20 mil (0.5 mm) in thickness used in greenhouses, where occupancy by the general public is not authorized, and for aquaculture pond covers is not required to meet the fire propagation performance criteria of Test Method 1 or Test Method 2, as appropriate, of NFPA 701.

Last edited:
As an ahj I would require a tech report from an Fire Protection Engineer that:

1. Meets interior finish or any other applicable codes.

2. The fire sprinkler system is designed to handle the plastic curtains.

2015 IFC
807.3 Combustible Decorative Materials

In other than Group I-3, curtains, draperies, fabric hangings and other similar combustible decorative materials suspended from walls or ceilings shall comply with Section 807.4 and shall not exceed 10 percent of the specific wall or ceiling area to which they are attached.

Fixed or movable walls and partitions, paneling, wall pads and crash pads applied structurally or for decoration, acoustical correction, surface insulation or other purposes shall be considered interior finish, shall comply with Section 803 and shall not be considered decorative materials or furnishings.

807.4 Acceptance Criteria and Reports

Where required to exhibit improved fire performance, curtains, draperies, fabric hangings and other similar combustible decorative materials suspended from walls or ceilings shall be tested by an approved agency and meet the flame propagation performance criteria of Test Method 1 or Test Method 2, as appropriate, of NFPA 701 or exhibit a maximum rate of heat release of 100 kW when tested in accordance with NFPA 289, using the 20 kW ignition source. Reports of test results shall be prepared in accordance with the test method used and furnished to the fire code official upon request.

Not sure Ch. 31 applies....
3102.1 General. The provisions of Sections 3102.1 through
3102.8 shall apply to air-supported, air-inflated, membranecovered
cable, membrane-covered frame and tensile membrane
structures, collectively known as membrane structures,

erected for a period of 180 days or longer.

MEMBRANE-COVERED CABLE STRUCTURE. A
nonpressurized structure in which a mast and cable system
provides support and tension to the membrane weather barrier
and the membrane imparts stability to the structure.
MEMBRANE-COVERED FRAME STRUCTURE. A
nonpressurized building wherein the structure is composed of
a rigid framework to support a tensioned membrane which
provides the weather barrier.

From the 2015 IBC code commentary 3102.1
Membrane structures may also be framework-type structures in which the membrane is stretched over the frame to form the enclosing walls and the roof.

I think you are stretching the membrane definition

What kind of business/ process in the clean
Room??

More people exercise in gyms than anywhere else............

These types of clean rooms are used in many facilities for all sorts of clean room classifications.

More people exercise in gyms than anywhere else............

These types of clean rooms are used in many facilities for all sorts of clean room classifications.
I contacted ICC directly. They said that they would agree that this is a membrane structure and 3102.3.1 applies and they need to show compliance to the NFPA standard most likely, not 703.5.

I contacted ICC directly. They said that they would agree that this is a membrane structure and 3102.3.1 applies and they need to show compliance to the NFPA standard most likely, not 703.5.

Boy it seems like they used the code stretcher on this one.

How about compliance with 3102.3?? If ICC says it is so.

My suggestion is ask a FPE for an opinion or require a FPE opinion

I think you are stretching the membrane definition
Actually, although I did state membrane structure above in my post, it was the "interior liner" part that became the issue. There is no definition for interior liner though.

3102.3.1 Membrane and interior liner material
Membranes and interior liners shall be either noncombustible as set forth in Section 703.5 or meet the fire propagation performance criteria of Test Method 1 or Test Method 2, as appropriate, of NFPA 701 and the manufacturer’s test protocol.