• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA Compliant Restaurant Bathrooms

fiasco

I am doing autocad for a building expansion of my restaurant/bar. I am wanting to have open vestibules and I'm basing the design off of the following PDF.

https://www.bobrick.com/wp-content/uploads/PlanningGuide.pdf

For the open vestibules I am looking at diagram Fig 3c Open Vestibule on page 5 which lists a 32" minimum entry opening into the vestibule and 42" minimum width for the first turn. I am at a 42" entry opening and 48" for the first turn.

I have linked my preliminary autocad drawing below. Yellow dashed rectangles/circles represent clear floorspace requirements (circle 60" turn radius, rectangle 30"x48" clear floor space). ADA required grab bars/ect are not on the print.

I am open to suggestions or corrections!

ahJe8ni.jpg

Are the red rectangles ... baby changers? In the womens room i would pull the sinks forward about 2 ft so the are not recessed so far.

@ ~ @ ~@ ~ @

Nice CAD drawing !.....Easily understandable............For
"agreed upon compliancy", ...I would include a compliant
Turning Radius in each of the Accessible toilet stalls.

Is one of the Urinals ADA compliant ?.......In the Women's
Restroom, the Lav's seem "boxed in", while the Men's Lav's
have more maneuverability.......Do the Women's Lav's provide
sufficient Accessibility space.......REASON: Typically,
women tend to spend more time at the Lav's & Mirrors.

Just sayin'...

@ ~ @ ~ @ ~ @

@ ~ @ ~@ ~ @

Nice CAD drawing !.....Easily understandable............For
"agreed upon compliancy", ...I would include a compliant
Turning Radius in each of the Accessible toilet stalls.

Is one of the Urinals ADA compliant ?.......In the Women's
Restroom, the Lav's seem "boxed in", while the Men's Lav's
have more maneuverability.......Do the Women's Lav's provide
sufficient Accessibility space.......REASON: Typically,
women tend to spend more time at the Lav's & Mirrors.

Just sayin'...

@ ~ @ ~ @ ~ @

There is more than enough space in the ADA stalls for a free 60" turn radius. 30" x 48" free clear floor space is required by ADA and is represented by the dashed boxes around the lav's and the urinals.

If you need another small chase, you could chamfer the corners of the vestibule. Like the upper left corner of the womens room.

be wary of urinal center lines adjacent to side walls longer than 24", 18" min. req'd; same with lavs.

Don't forget to address accessory mounting heights and locations.
Note that all dimensions are to "face of finishes", what is your wall finish to be?
Must be smooth, hard and non-absorbent (as in water resistant) adjacent to urinals, lavs, & WC's.

It is important to state what jurisdiction you are located in, and to make sure you are following all applicable codes, not just ADA. For example, in California we have added this requirement onto the usual ADA standards:
upload_2020-1-31_10-43-49.png

It is important to state what jurisdiction you are located in, and to make sure you are following all applicable codes, not just ADA. For example, in California we have added this requirement onto the usual ADA standards:
View attachment 6400
Fully agree with the stipulation that the jurisdiction is extremely important to understand, but not sure what you mean about the CBC added requirement for 18" to CL from sidewall, as that has been in Chapter 11 for over 10 years.

Fully agree with the stipulation that the jurisdiction is extremely important to understand, but not sure what you mean about the CBC added requirement for 18" to CL from sidewall, as that has been in Chapter 11 for over 10 years.

I mean that it is shown in italics in the CBC, which means it was modified (added) beyond what normally appears in the same section in ADAS.

The original poster only mentioned a Bobrick pdf and the ADA as possible sources of design standards. In that context, if his project was in California the 18" to CL would be an added requirement to his current sources for design standards.

Lav's not WC
Which is exactly my original point. The OP showed 5' for 2 lavs, and it graphically showed them evenly spaced with a 30"x48" space at the lav, such that both lavs were 15" from CL of wall. But if this were in CA, he would need 18" from CL of at least one lav, which is analogous to a 33"x48 chair space.

State is Illinois

The existing bathrooms are gutted. New addition excavated and footings poured. We were also able to squeeze an additional 16" of depth on the foundation for the new addition that will hold the bathrooms.

Toilets in the bathrooms are wall mounted. Added void between bathrooms for the back to back toilet wall mounting brackets. Auto flushers are flush mounted in walls above toilets
2Y6t8HZ.jpg

not an Illinois guy but here in CA the accessible toilet compartment panel that has the hinge on it can be no wider than 4"

What’s the logic for that?
Do the urinals need partitions?
Well logic? is that in the code? The real logic is for end opening stalls so that the door is diagonally opposite the WC. That is how they control that the stall door is tight to one side.
For side opening stalls the code requirement still stands but it is "not logical". We have had very long stalls with side entry and would like to use a larger panel like the one shown in the plan but it is not code compliant per CBC figure 11B-604.8.1.2.