• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

EERO distance from sill to grade?

Bill Seegmuller

We are working with the 2015 ICC and NYS 2017 supplement. I was told the minimum distance from EERO to grade or landing below is 14 feet, and I can't seem to find this info anywhere. Does anyone know the answer? I am looking at a set of residential plans where the EERO is 16' to grade.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you mean maximum distance?

It is not in the unamended IRC. Let's see if any NY'ers chime in.

Not sure what your asking?

2012 IFC 1104.16.6 Termination. The lowest balcony shall not be more than 18-feet from ground.

IBC 1029.1 "Basements and sleeping rooms below the fourth story above grade plane shall have at least one EERO....."

To the OP - I don't think that the 16' is an issue. You could tell them when they jump out of it to "always trust your cape". Great song by Guy Clark.

Last edited:
Here is the code I was looking for: In the 2017 NYS Supplement:

AJ604.3 Automatic Sprinkler Systems

A habitable attic may be created in an existing attic located above the second or third story above grade plane without requiring the installation of a sprinkler system throughout the entire dwelling, provided all of the following conditions are met:
  1. The building was legally occupied before January 1, 1984.
  2. The habitable attic and its means of egress to the exterior are equipped with a limited area sprinkler system installed in accordance with NFPA 13D.
  3. The habitable attic is provided with:
    1. A second exit stair meeting the requirements of Section R311.7, or
    2. An emergency escape and rescue opening, meeting the requirements of Section R310, located directly above a roof or other structural appurtenance from which access to grade does not exceed a vertical distance of 14 feet.
  4. The entire dwelling is equipped with smoke alarms in compliance with Section R314 and monitored by an approved supervising station in accordance with NFPA 72.

Here is the code I was looking for: In the 2017 NYS Supplement:

AJ604.3 Automatic Sprinkler Systems

A habitable attic may be created in an existing attic located above the second or third story above grade plane without requiring the installation of a sprinkler system throughout the entire dwelling, provided all of the following conditions are met:
  1. The building was legally occupied before January 1, 1984.
  2. The habitable attic and its means of egress to the exterior are equipped with a limited area sprinkler system installed in accordance with NFPA 13D.
  3. The habitable attic is provided with:
    1. A second exit stair meeting the requirements of Section R311.7, or
    2. An emergency escape and rescue opening, meeting the requirements of Section R310, located directly above a roof or other structural appurtenance from which access to grade does not exceed a vertical distance of 14 feet.
  4. The entire dwelling is equipped with smoke alarms in compliance with Section R314 and monitored by an approved supervising station in accordance with NFPA 72.

You are looking at a specific case, non base code item.

That the city or state set up, if a person ones to do this, and what they will require to do it.