• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Tiny Courtyard

LGreene

I have been asked about a very small courtyard in a school that is actually more like a light well.

Hopefully you can see this photo: https://idighardware.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Light-Well-Courtyard.jpg

The courtyard is the room with the green box. Kids are climbing over the roof and getting into the courtyard and then into the corridor and the boiler room. The courtyard is not used for any purpose - it is overgrown with plants/weeds.

If the second door from the boiler room is not required (I will check), the purpose of the corridor door would be just to access the courtyard for maintenance/landscaping. I could have sworn that there was something specific in one of the model codes that would allow a door to a landscape slot to be locked on both sides - preventing access AND egress. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Ideally, the door will have a double-cylinder deadbolt so nobody can get in or out of the courtyard, BUT...the next time a kid jumps off the roof he will be stuck.

What do you think?? I'd love to hear your opinions. If the corridor door is locked, should there be a way to notify someone if a kid jumps off the roof?

Can't they install a security grate over the "courtyard"?

Secure whatever access to the roof?

i bet if the kids spent the night in the courtyard, followed by a talk with PD for trespass, it would be the last time that happened!

JMHO

Looks like a liability

Kid or whoever falls and can’t get up, discovered after two week Christmas break.

Not good, live at five

Roof needs a barrier

I see no problem locking down that door, if not needed for boiler room.

It looks like the courtyard is about 15x30 ft ... is the entire space open to the sky? I would agree with a grate, but something that size would take a bit of work.

Thinking no you cannot have double cylinder dead bolt, per IBC

Now an option, get rid of the doors? If the boiler room door is not needed. And just turn it into wasted space.

And as you say, does not seem to be used.

Risk management issue.
I remember an old Hitchcock plot where kids were trapped over the winter in a similar space at an amusement park they broke into.