• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Walking Path Guard rails

DMartin

Just looking for some more input on a subject. Wetland area that is going to be turned into a birdwatching area with observation decks. The question being posed to me is do the pathways between observation decks need to have handrails installed if the water come to the walkways edge? I have looked through IBC 1013 ETC... Not required unless it has a drop of 30" within 36".
But when out on waterfront areas I do see that a lot do put guardrails where the water is up to the path. Is this a requirement that I'm not finding or just a CYA thing for the area. Forestry does have rules of there own on this but not maintained by fish and wildlife. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this kind of thing?

The building code does not really cover "walking paths".
Is it potentially Hazardous? Yes
should you have protection? Yes
Is it a building code issue? No

Thinking of it as similar to Fishing pier or platform

2010 ADASAD Fishing piers and platforms
1005.2 Railings. Where provided, railings, guards, or handrails shall comply with 1005.2.
1005.2.1 Height. At least 25 percent of the railings, guards, or handrails shall be 34 inches maximum above the ground or deck surface
1005.3 Edge Protection. Where railings, guards, or handrails complying with 1005.2 are provided, edge protection ... shall be provided.
1005.3.1 Curb or Barrier. Curbs or barriers shall extend 2 inches minimum above the surface of the fishing pier or platform.
upload_2020-2-28_7-0-0.png

I have worked on quite a few similar projects like this over the past 30 or so years. I have never required guard rails adjacent to water features either natural or man made unless the walking surface is 30" or more above the water feature. I would also say that this is one of those judgement calls by the AHJ as the codes do not specifically address this. I'll be interested in seeing some other perspectives posted on this topic.

I came up something similar last year. Walking trail adjacent to a river, a couple places where the trail had "bridges" over marsh areas greater than 30" above the surface. I told them I would require guards, they lowered the elevations to get out of it.

How deep is the water. How bad of an incident would there be if a wheelchair rolled off the unprotected edge. How good is your liability insurance.

To me this falls into the not-code-but-common-sense category.

How deep is the water. How bad of an incident would there be if a wheelchair rolled off the unprotected edge. How good is your liability insurance.

I had the same concern, but their design did include 6X6's at both sides for edge protection.

Wheelchairs are why they wanted to avoid having guards, blocking a chair users view.

Ok, 6x6 toeboard would go a long way toward easing my concern. And it’s probably raised another inch for drainage.

Swimming pools don’t have guard rails, but they do have fences. I don’t know why I’m making this comment ... you’re right.

Lol! I was playing devils advocate! I was also thinking about accessible boat docks. :) I will agree that edge protection is a great idea. That also works well for the sight impaired that may use a detection cane.

What happens during a drought? Will there always be water there?
Man made lake from water plant (not the place I would want to get too close too) local organization wants to fund bird watching area. So probably water all the time.

Thanks for responses. I figured there was nothing we had except that wheel chair access would be required even at platforms for viewing. And we should C.O.A. and require it as a matter of insurance and safety. I would hate for a handicap or child to fall into there.

This is Glacier National Park Trail of the Cedars. It is the only fully accessible designed trail in the park that I am aware of. As you can see in the link the toe board runs the entire trail along with some guards. Some of the guards are there because of a 30" height and others are there to keep people from stepping off the boardwalk onto sensitive vegetation.
They will only get one chance to do it right

images

https://www.google.com/search?q=gla...UBhZ4KHaPGA1oQ4lYoBHoECAEQGQ&biw=1263&bih=578

Also, what is swimming in the waters?