• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

a month from now when ICE get off has vacation this thread will pass 200 pages - what a thread this is
I was hoping he would get bored about the first day, and start posting things he was too busy to post while working.

Building owners should invest in private inspections.

49628895992_e6ed038c54_b.jpg

49628104233_3f7ec480b3_b.jpg

49628114593_fc40f5670d_b.jpg

One way to kill the bearings on a fan is to tilt it. When the bearings go things get hot. When that overheating fan is on a roof nobody hears the screeching. The redeeming feature of a roof mount is that passersby will see the flames.

49628646426_87a326b584_b.jpg

Last edited:
The job is extending the rear of the house 12'. That includes the kitchen and two bedrooms. Permits were pulled in 2002 and we are now trying to final the job with a new permit. I was there for the first time trying to perform a final inspection. Several other inspectors have been there before me and have approved the framing, electrical and plumbing.

I had not gone inside yet as I started with the water heater. I wanted to see the water heater vent so I stood on a block wall for a planter.

49628670511_f1a7d9edf4_b.jpg

That's when I noticed the service drop.

49628670581_e7cc1e7f1d_b.jpg

The panel is above a couch in the living room.

49628942062_c0a5f674f1_b.jpg

The cover will not close and there is no deadfront.

49628969217_b1cbf405c4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Absentee landlord/investor, and the property manager doesn’t make site visits. Probably cancelled the preventative maintenance contracts to improve the monthly bottom line.

Thats probably the original outside wall, but why is the meter facing in?

The occupants do not speak English and I don't speak Chinese. The work was done nearly twenty years ago and there has undoubtedly been several owners during the gap. I will not be able to determine who did what, when. My best guess is that there was bootleg construction prior to the work to extend the rear of the dwelling 12'.

I gave the office managers the correction slips and pictures before I left for vacation. My decision was a that a ten day notice to cut Edison was the way to go.

How long has SCE used smart meters? If that mess has been there a while, a meter reader would have still had to read the cash register prior to the switch.

How long has SCE used smart meters? If that mess has been there a while, a meter reader would have still had to read the cash register prior to the switch.

The internet says:
The first smart meter in the Edison SmartConnect program was installed in September 2009 in Downey. Installations will continue through 2012 to a total of nearly 5 million SCE residential and small-business customers in the utility's 50,000-square-mile service territory.

In the early years I asked an Edison supervisor why I find dangerous services that meter readers have seen many times. He said that the meter readers have no clue.

Last edited:
This is a 400 amp service on a new dwelling. There is a ground rod because the uffer was covered over and the electrician is not sure where it is. He will find it.

49637250096_27a50a093a_b.jpg

49637202706_e3e30b2284_b.jpg

49637477092_31e632e07f_c.jpg

49637262311_7946b7202f_b.jpg

Last edited:
There is a ground rod because the uffer was covered over and the electrician is not sure where it is. He will find it.
Would you prefer to have an ufer than a ground rid?
400a is pretty good size. Is it multi family?

One way to kill the bearings on a fan is to tilt it. When the bearings go things get hot. When that overheating fan is on a roof nobody hears the screeching. The redeeming feature of a roof mount is that passersby will see the flames.

Pride of ownership gives one cause to wonder. Maybe he has exceeded his depritiation years?

Pride of ownership? All they care about is money.

It is the tenant that installs equipment on the roof. It would be the tenant that is on the hook for repair/replacement. There is no excuse for an owner not being aware of what's being done to the building. Aware means informed by a reliable source. I am surprised that insurance companies are not requiring inspections a couple times a year.

It is the tenant that installs equipment on the roof. It would be the tenant that is on the hook for repair/replacement. There is no excuse for an owner not being aware of what's being done to the building. Aware means informed by a reliable source. I am surprised that insurance companies are not requiring inspections a couple times a year.
Once again, Tenant or Property Owners; it's all about the cash.

It is the tenant that installs equipment on the roof. It would be the tenant that is on the hook for repair or replacement.
It’s all negotiable. I have been involved with retail leases where the equipment is by the landlord.

The internet says:
The first smart meter in the Edison SmartConnect program was installed in September 2009 in Downey. Installations will continue through 2012 to a total of nearly 5 million SCE residential and small-business customers in the utility's 50,000-square-mile service territory.

In the early years I asked an Edison supervisor why I find dangerous services that meter readers have seen many times. He said that the meter readers have no clue. OR DON'T CARE!!