• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Finding Tension and Shear Loads of Seismic Snubbers

John Buchmann

Hi,

When I want to calculate tension and shear loads of cables at picture below, I am using equations below;

Cable Load (Fc = Horizontal seismic force / cos60°)
Tension Load (T = Fc x sin60x1,3)
Shear Load (V = Fc * cos60x1,3)

1584386347694-png.2551773

However, I want to use seismic snubbers to mount my panelboard like picture below. How can I calculate tension and shear loads?

1584386329181-png.2551772

In detail 1 I would not call these brackets snubbers. Snubbers tend to be compression only items.

There will be non-zero tensile forces on some of the anchors under gravity as well as additional tensile forces due to seismic loads. The magnitude of the tensile forces will be dependent on the dimensions of the brackets. the dimensions of the cabinet, and the location of the mass within the cabinet.

Nothing is said about the material the anchors are connected to.

For the vertical cabinet I do not understand the dimensions of the cabinet and the slopes of the cables. At most only half of the cables are in tension at any one time. Consider the situation where the horizontal seismic forces are.
not acting parallel to one of the axis of the cabinet.