• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What is this space, and can it be a bedroom?

Just a note: there is NO separate language for an AirBnB suite.

I am allowed to rent out the bedroom of my house, as long as they comply with IFC2018. That’s the only legal language.

I also cannot rent out a DADU, because I am not zoned to have a DADU.

I also can not rent out an Accessory Apartment (ADU I believe) because those can only be used by family. Those also require a permit to build. Those also require access to the house. I do not meet the requirements for that.

Unfortunately, as someone else found out, this forum cannot answer all questions.

Sorry, it sounds like you know the answer

The decision will be up to the city,,,,

But there should be an appeal process

If the problem is just a the door put a 24" door in. Keep it locked. Done.

Also I never herd of any zoning or code regulations that says you can't have more than one kitchen in a house.
If the microwave is a problem use a toaster oven instead

If there is no door between the "bedroom" and the sliding glass door then an egress window is not required. If there is remove the doors and a portion of the wall and it all becomes one room. that should satisfy the building code requirements. I can't help you with what the zoning requirements are.

FYI our zoning would permit this as an ABNB but not as an efficiency or studio apartment unless it was zoned for it

If the problem is just a the door put a 24" door in. Keep it locked. Done.

Also I never herd of any zoning or code regulations that says you can't have more than one kitchen in a house.
If the microwave is a problem use a toaster oven instead
yes that would be difficult for a Kosher household to not have two kitchens

At any time in the past was the space a garage? A garage space that was converted without permit..

Our planning department would not approve that configuration no matter what the room is labeled.

Clearly the problem is the stairs ... no way that will pass code with the treads all kittywompus ... :}
Is kittywompus a technical term? :^)

Can't be a dwelling unit.
R311.2 Egress door.
Not less than one egress door shall be provided for each dwelling unit. The egress door shall be side-hinged, and shall provide a clear width of not less than 32 inches (813 mm) where measured between the face of the door and the stop, with the door open 90 degrees (1.57 rad). The clear height of the door opening shall be not less than 78 inches (1981 mm) in height measured from the top of the threshold to the bottom of the stop. Other doors shall not be required to comply with these minimum dimensions. Egress doors shall be readily openable from inside the dwelling without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort.

I know it was stated a couple of different ways, but TwistedDrum5, if you are still reading this thread:

The building code is just one of several different codes with which you must comply. Zoning codes are different.
The building code could show you how to safely design a 40 story highrise in the middle of a single family residential neighborhood, but your local zoning code may not allow that. Your project must comply with each code on its own terms and definitions, abiding by whichever one saddles you with the most stringent requirement for any given condition.

Building codes tend to be more uniform than zoning codes: many jurisdictions will adopt a model building code with little or no modification, which is why it is easier for all of us to discuss local building code issues on a nationwide building cIn contrast, zoning codes are often highly tailored to the communities that they serve, and so our anecdotal experience from our own communities may not transfer at all into your particular situation.

Bottom line: our opinions on this building code forum (about what your unique local zoning code really means) probably won't be too useful to you in resolving your original question.

upload_2020-3-19_12-6-30.png

FYI, The door CAN be a slider in the bedroom. Doesn't have to be side hinged. The required egress(front door usually) does.

I was responding to the suggestion that this might be a dwelling unit since it has no interior commucation to the main dwelling. A sliding door cannot be the only egress door.