• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Door clearance at landing - push side

Given:

Jurisdiction enforces both ANSI A117.1 and 2010 ADA

An existing push-pull door with closer. No latch. Just a double-cylinder key lock.
A small brick pilaster is located above the landing and near the strike side of the doorway.
If this door had a latch and closer, then the 12 inches would be required by the 2012 ADA.
If this opening had no door but only a 36 inch wide opening, then the 12 inches would not be required.

Question:

What dimension is required on the push and strike side of the door if there is only a closer and the door is recessed more than 8 inches?

As always, thank you!

ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner

Attachments

• DoorClearance.pdf
    16.6 KB · Views: 16
And what of his >8" recess question MH?
as stated before; "...2010 ADASAD, Yes and no, depending on direction of travel..."
recessed elements require front entry, that would be a no front the stair direction, but there is no recess from the hinge side, so IMPO, I would accept it. but that is a moot issue because it won't work from both sides.

DoorClearance.jpg Okay, 0” allowed by ANSI A117.1
My drawing shows the direction of travel with two (2) arrows indicating a latch side approach.
The doorway could be approached from the hinge side but it is highly unlikely.
According to 2010 ADA figure 404.2.4.1(j) for a door with a LATCH, there should be a maneuvering clearance of 24” parallel to the doorway and measured from the LATCH side.
According to 2010 ADA figure 404.2.4.2(b) for an opening without a door, this maneuvering clearance is zero.
According to 2010 ADA figure 404.2.4.3(c) for a recessed door (because the 8-1/2” brick element is greater than 8”), this maneuvering clearance is 12” measured from the LATCH and push side of the door. This third illustration makes reference to the LATCH side as well as a forward approach.

I have neither a latch nor a forward approach.

My objective is to determine the appropriate landing and clearance for the area highlighted in yellow. For a door without a latch.

Last edited:
Thank you for the graphic, explains a lot better. Ditto MH!

As shown the wheeler is approaching the hinge side of the door.
Also consider an assist device if this is an existing condition.

The door is code compliant if the door approach is from the hinge side; However the " recess " makes it non-complaint because the door does not provide adequate floor clearance for forward approach- 52 Inches required. (46" is provided. Notice closure and latch are not mentioned. - No Asterisk).
IMHO even an ADA Door operator doe snot alleviate the requirement for a forward approach as the code requires - I am not sure what what version of ICC ANSI you are using as this is the 2017 ed. that has been adopted by state law where I am at.
upload_2020-3-27_21-39-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-27_21-35-18.png
    upload_2020-3-27_21-35-18.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 2
It is non-compliant - 1.) either the door has to not be on the accessible route with signage directing people to the nearest accessible entrance , 2.) The door has to be relocated, or 3.) an alternate means to operate the door has to be provided. Those are the only code compliant options.

This is an old existing shoe shine shop. A very small tenant space with the face of the building (and doorway) located right on the property line (public right of way). The concrete steps were cast in place and look to be fairly new.

One of the senior staff architects working for ICC gave me his interpretation. The doorway is NOT located along an accessible route. Therefore the maneuvering clearances do NOT apply.

The situation would then be consistent with Builder Bob's (1) above except there is no signage directing people to any other accessible entrance. There is only one door in. There is only one door out. And you must negotiate a few steps to get up into this building.