• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The correction said, “Not ready for inspection.” In all honesty, it wouldn’t be difficult to fool me.......who among us verifies that all of the circuits are labeled correctly? ..... Allow me to restate that... not counting Jeff, who among us......

Oh I don't but I come close in dwelling units.....

Here's a picture of our house....it's the one with the firetruck in the driveway. Within minutes there was a firetruck in every driveway. Green ones, red ones and yellow too.....they came from as far away as San Diego.

From where I took the picture is as far as we went. Once the firemen had the hoses strung to the back yard we went back into the house. I should have sent my wife to the shelter because it was damned near impossible to get any sleep with her there. But I was going to need a driver in the morning.

I was having a tough night before the fire. Halfway into a gallon of magnesium citrate there was pounding on the door. A policeman said that we had to evacuate. I said, "Well sir you've caught me at a bad time."

The next morning as we returned from the hospital that same policeman stopped us a mile from home and said that we couldn't go any further. I had to walk home and my wife spent the next three days at a shelter. I couldn't even get a pizza delivered and she got Happy Meals. One of the things I love about her is that she seldom gets upset about stuff happening. Oh she was scared alright, really scared, dare I say scared shltless when, in the long run, I was the shltless one.

View attachment 6582
Great story! And thanks for posting the pics of your neighbor's repair job! I always enjoy looking at your pics.

If your neighbor survives his rot repair project, perhaps he could help out with this trenching project? Looks less dangerous than a fall while repairing rot.
26777398822_ae85106ebb_h-jpg.3286

I did a trenching safety course a couple years ago and showed that picture to the trainer. He asked what the hole at the bottom was for.

He said he had seen people do some stupid things before, but that was next level stupid.

Its only 7 steps down on the ladder ... 4 ft? Maybe the hole is the escape route. Looks like pretty cohesive soil too. Still a dumb move.

49743440468_24968fb1bb_b.jpg
"What are we looking for ICE?

Unsecured ladder, questionable flashing material (looks like foil tape?), the what appears to be excessive cantilever at the right wall, windows that are not vertically aligned (bad design, but not a violation if headers account for load transfer), the shear-walls with straps for force transfer around openings (missing at corner window's outside edge)?

Inquisitive minds wanna know what you saw."

Ty J.,
This is not a job that I am involved with. An inspector found this during a virtual inspection. The coil strap may or may not be on the plans but the strap didn't extend far enough at the ends. The strap is either under the window nail flange or over the flange either of which is not a good idea. Generally when strap is called out on plans, there is strap under the window opening as well as the top.... but that' s generally and I've seen it both ways.

The window flashing at the side and top is a self-adhering flashing that is not made for this application. Additionally, the side flashing should be under the window flange. Oh and the stuff is too narrow as well.

The belly band is, how should I say this in a not unkind manner, ridiculous. And the color! What's this place going to look like?

The windows seem to lineup okay. Now if any are bedroom egress they are, like the flashing, too narrow.

I notice a lack of eave vents.

The fascia is nailed with sinkers.

And the ladder? They're just storing the ladder.

I can't zoom in on the picture ....oh wait a minute, I bet I can with the iPad. Ya but the iPad is upstairs.......yes it zooms on the iPad but gets blurry fast....but I found eave vents.

What do you think about the lighting outlets?

Last edited:
What are we looking for ICE?

Unsecured ladder, questionable flashing material (looks like foil tape?), the what appears to be excessive cantilever at the right wall, windows that are not vertically aligned (bad design, but not a violation if headers account for load transfer), the shear-walls with straps for force transfer around openings (missing at corner window's outside edge)?

Inquisitive minds wanna know what you saw.

The sewer is ABS. The gas pipe is polypropylene. The water pipe is unknown by me. This is the correrction that I found.

49798829678_db67060eee_b.jpg

Last edited:
603.2 Separation of water service and building sewer.
Water service pipe and the building sewer shall be separated by not less than 5 feet (1524 mm) of undisturbed or compacted earth.

Exceptions:

1. The required separation distance shall not apply where the bottom of the water service pipe within 5 feet (1524 mm) of the sewer is not less than 12 inches (305 mm) above the top of the highest point of the sewer and the pipe materials conform to Table 702.3.

G2415.17.3 (404.17.3) Tracer.
A yellow insulated copper tracer wire or other approved conductor shall be installed adjacent to underground nonmetallic piping. Access shall be provided to the tracer wire or the tracer wire shall terminate above ground at each end of the nonmetallic piping. The tracer wire size shall not be less than 18 AWG and the insulation type shall be suitable for direct burial.

Green copperhead approved here.

There is no separation required between ABS sewer and any water pipe of any material. There is no separation required between gas pipe and sewer or water pipes. DWV is inside the building.

If clay sewer were involved the code is not "18” below water pipe."

Last edited:
Looks a tad bit full.

Let me count the wires, over thirty but no yokes in that box, can't determine the size of the JB from a virtual inspection

Guessing 13 (romex) x 3 wires = 39 Some may be 12g and some 14g

I'll guess the box as a 4.25 x 4.25 but can't determine the depth of the box?

Looks a tad bit full.

Let me count the wires, over thirty but no yokes in that box, can't determine the size of the JB from a virtual inspection

Guessing 13 (romex) x 3 wires = 39 Some may be 12g and some 14g

I'll guess the box as a 4.25 x 4.25 but can't determine the depth of the box?
Guessing 17 romex.