• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chain Link Fencing

north star

Sawhorse
@ ~ @ ~ @

I have a facility with a chain link fence around it.
The fence fabric is 6 ft. in height with a 1 ft. high,

3-stranded barbed wire attached to that.

The users of the facility have requested that metal
strips be inserted in to the fencing for privacy.
It is perceived that fabric type netting attached to

the fencing would not last very long.

The applicable Codes would be the `18 I-Codes
and any applicable NFPA Codes.

Q): Would adding the metal strips in to the
existing chain link fencing adversely effect the
overall structural integrity of the fencing because
of the effects of the wind on it [ i.e. - increased
wind loads ] ?

If you have any particular Codes or Standards
references, please provide.

Thank you for any input !

# = # = # = #

Most states adopted
Section 105.2 Work Exempt From Permit- Fences not over seven feet high.

if it is higher than that they need to justify the footing.

Other than that it is a Municipal code issue.

the city I work in, chain link is not permitted, and all fences require planning/zoning approvals.

2.4 Framework, Fittings & GatesFramework, per ASTM F1043 - Standard Specification for Strength and Protective Coatings on Metal Industrial Chain Link Fence Framework (special consideration to wind loading should be considered).

Also North, you don't indicate what area of the country you are from and what you do?

Yes the installation of privacy strips would increase the wind loads. The use of metal, wood, or plastic privacy strips would not make a difference.

The manual referenced does not appear to be referenced from the IBC or ASCE 7 and I am not sure that their assumption that the wind load is determined only based on the projected area of the fence is valid. Finding the right answer is messy and I am not sure that solving this problem is where you want to spend your time.

$ ~ $ ~ $

ADAguy,

I sent you a PM with my e-mail address.......Did you receive ?

$ ~ $ ~ $