• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Child Daycare Restroom Facilities

Sorry, this is my first time posting, and I'm having problem posting this question as an independent thread--the forum is asking to invite people? Since this thread is on a somewhat related topic, maybe it's okay to post here?

I'm trying to figure out if there are regulations for spacing between side-by-side freestanding sinks for a daycare that I'm working on in Massachusetts. (Our state building code is based off IBC 2015). These are two sinks for children (toddlers) to wash their hands. The room also have 2 adult sinks which are accessible. I've found some guidelines for lavatory heights for different age groups, but strangely, I'm having a tough time finding out where to look for information about spacing between the sinks themselves.

Right now, I have 2 sinks spaced 4 inches apart on a 36" wall between the end of a counter and closet.
Everything I see requires a 30-inch center to center clearance.
according to growth charts a 6yr old is up to 24-inches wide
but remember at least one needs to meet ICC A117.1. for that child using a mobility device.

Last edited:
7. Where toilet facilities are primarily for children’s use, required accessible water closets, toilet compartments and lavatories shall be permitted to comply with children’s provision of ICC A117.1.

If they are not required, they are not required to be accessible...In this particular case I believe....

7. Where toilet facilities are primarily for children’s use, required accessible water closets, toilet compartments and lavatories shall be permitted to comply with children’s provision of ICC A117.1.

If they are not required, they are not required to be accessible...In this particular case I believe....
But there is nothing that allows the fixtures to be closer because it is for children so by code laves shall be 30" center to center. Regardless of the bowel size or the user.

Missed that Mark, Thanks, so this:

405.3.1 Water closets, urinals, lavatories and bidets. A
water closet, urinal, lavatory or bidet shall not be set closer
than 15 inches (381 mm) from its center to any side wall,
partition, vanity or other obstruction, or closer than 30
inches (762 mm) center to center between adjacent fixtures.

Thanks Rick. Currently, I have requested a letter from the designer with revision to plans showing/stating the provision for the training restroom to be upgraded (blocking in walls, etc.) when such a student enrolls. A letter of operations is also being requested from the owner/manager stating that such renovations will be provided when enrollment requires compliance.

I don't feel great about this, but at this point, it is back on the designer/owner, and I am hoping they choose to avoid the letters and put it in. I am still waiting to hear back from the designer.

We enforce 2003 ANSI A117.1.
ADAAG does not apply, the operator is bound by local code, 2010 ADASAD and state licensing requirements too. Even if you are only inspecting for code.

Missed that Mark, Thanks, so this:

405.3.1 Water closets, urinals, lavatories and bidets. A
water closet, urinal, lavatory or bidet shall not be set closer
than 15 inches (381 mm) from its center to any side wall,
partition, vanity or other obstruction, or closer than 30
inches (762 mm) center to center between adjacent fixtures.

Thanks everyone for the input on this. I couldn't seem to find this info in our local (Massachusetts) plumbing code. So I guess the assumption is that our local codes would be based on these the ICC model codes unless they specifically note a difference.

Considering that Mass's code (67') addressed access prior to North Carolina, this is an interesting thread you raise.

Mass. plumbing might have an ICC base sort of at this point but the plumbing board modifies the crap out of it with 100 yr old thinking....