• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NY CITY : foundation depth and width for backyard concrete block wall

NEWSROOM

Hi. I am a newbie.
I leave in Queens county in NY city. I want to DIY project. I want to build 6' tall concrete block [8''x8''x16' size each bock] wall at the property line in the back yard. I want to know how much do I have to make deep and wide concrete foundation/footing for this wall? [ According to code as per 1 RCNY §101-14, for one- and two-family dwellings, the Department does not require permits for fences 6 feet or less in height and homeowners may install their own fencing. Residential and commercial fences for privacy are typically made of wood, plastic, brick, or chain link]
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

1st of all I'm very surprised that it require a permit for a masonry wall, I thought you work, especially NYC quantity permit for just about anything. However, you checked into it in a permit is required so here's what I think about your question.

The footing should go below the frost line, I'm not sure what it is in your area I'm guessing around 24"or so. I would make the footing 2'0" wide by 1'0" thick with 3 #4 Bars tenuous and crossbars and Dwls Every 24". I would then put extensions on the Dwls to go to the top of the wall (filling these cells with grout) and then put a bond beam across the top (with 2 #4 Bars and it). It would be a little more work but certainly would go anyplace and would hold up for a long time.

Msradell,

I deleted one of the duplicates...make that two.

Were it mine...in my California expansive soil my fence footing would be 24" deep and 12" wide....unless an engineer told me to make it 24" deep....in that case it would be 30".....with #5 bar.

I'm not sure what people do for fences where the ground freezes. That sounds awful, "where the ground freezes" .....and they live there. If Columbus had landed at San Diego the east coast would still be wilderness. It would have an Indian name that translates, "mosquitoes too". And Queens County....you know that place was named long ago.

Last edited:
I would be stunned if a block fence having a height of 6’ did not require a permit let alone an engineer. Queens NY being surrounded by bodies of water, a bay on one side and an ocean on the other and a elevation above sea of 130’ or so at its highest point!

Do yourself a favor and locate documentation from the county or the building inspection department in writing that your project does not require a permit & post it.

Seriously??? It is a 6' tall block wall...... NOT a fence :)

"wikipedia" A fence differs from a wall in not having a solid foundation along its whole length

What would you consider it to be?

A fence by "legal" definition is a boundary defining structure/wall (element?) constructed to comply with local ordinances governing: material, height and placement limits. Typically fences exceeding 6' in height require a permit. Consider soil type, wind load, water table and frost depth, local animals, neighbor preference, etc. Within a properties boundary it may have different names but if free standing and taller that 6' it will most likely require a footing and calcs.