• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Natural ventilation via overhead doors

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I have a 12,000s.f. M occupancy, a furniture showroom, one big room. The designer is proposing that all ventilation will be provided by a natural means and they are using 2 large overhead doors as the method for providing most of it. 2018 IMC 402.1 and IBC 1202.5 both require the openings to be readily accessible and readily controllable by the occupants of the building. Project is in CO, darn hot in the summer, darn cold in the winter, but darn nice most of the time. Heat is supplied by gas unit heaters, with no A/C. What are the thoughts on using the 14' overhead doors as the primary method of outside air (man doors supply less than 1% of the floor area)? Are they readily controllable by the occupants?

The operating mechanism for such openings shall be provided with ready access so that the openings are readily controllable by the building occupants.

That would mean the door opening controls would have to be accessible

My thinking as well but I completely overlooked the accessibility issue.

Depends on how hard you want to fight exception #1

1109.13 Controls, operating mechanisms and hardware.
Controls, operating mechanisms and hardware intended for
operation by the occupant, including switches that control
lighting and ventilation and electrical convenience outlets, in
accessible spaces, along accessible routes or as parts of
accessible elements shall be accessible.
Exceptions:
1. Operable parts that are intended for use only by service
or maintenance personnel shall not be required
to be accessible.

Depends on how hard you want to fight exception #1

1109.13 Controls, operating mechanisms and hardware.
Controls, operating mechanisms and hardware intended for
operation by the occupant, including switches that control
lighting and ventilation and electrical convenience outlets, in
accessible spaces, along accessible routes or as parts of
accessible elements shall be accessible.
Exceptions:
1. Operable parts that are intended for use only by service
or maintenance personnel shall not be required
to be accessible.

I thought about that too but since they are relying on it for ventilation and they must be readily controllable by all occupants they can't make the argument that it is for use only by service or maintenance personnel.

I thought about that too but since they are relying on it for ventilation and they must be readily controllable by all occupants they can't make the argument that it is for use only by service or maintenance personnel.

ALL??

The business normally will not let me turn down the a/c, if I feel it is to hot in a restaurant

No, but if the A/C is part of the mechanical ventilation system then it has automatic controls that provide the required ventilation without your intervention.....theoretically.

I agree with Steveray… Bad design but code compliant.
Code definition of "ready access" means you can get to it without removal of panels or similar obstructions. If the door controls are out in the open then it meets code minimum. I would say if the controls are behind a customer service counter or even in the open in a back area accessible to employees it still meets minimum requirements. No different than a thermostat.

I have a 12,000s.f. M occupancy, a furniture showroom, one big room. The designer is proposing that all ventilation will be provided by a natural means and they are using 2 large overhead doors as the method for providing most of it. 2018 IMC 402.1 and IBC 1202.5 both require the openings to be readily accessible and readily controllable by the occupants of the building. Project is in CO, darn hot in the summer, darn cold in the winter, but darn nice most of the time. Heat is supplied by gas unit heaters, with no A/C. What are the thoughts on using the 14' overhead doors as the primary method of outside air (man doors supply less than 1% of the floor area)? Are they readily controllable by the occupants?
So they shall remain shuttered during all inclement weather? Bad buisness model.

Horrible buisness plan.
Doors shall remain open at all times building is occupied. Good luck with that in the inclement weather areas.

But yes it appears to meet the IMC
Now they will not be able to heat or cool the building.....

In my first year doing plan review, I had a structure that proposed natural ventilation. This was new to me, and as I went through the code requirements for natural ventilation, I though it was absurd. In my jurisdiction we have really hot summers and really cold winters. The code said that ventilation must be provided during the periods the room or space is occupied. That would mean all the windows and doors had to be open in order to provide ventilation (yes, the doors too since without them, the designer couldn't get the 4% required openings to the exterior). What person in their right mind is going to open all the windows and doors when its 95 degrees outside in the summer or 25 degrees in the winter ?!? But there it was, in the code and this structure met all the requirements ! So I approved the plan, but not before making a note on it in bright red ink that said "All windows and doors must be open during all occupied periods." Weeks/months (?) later, I was on a ride-along with one of our inspectors (during a wiinter month) and it happened that we went to this same project. When we went in, there were temperary heaters set up to keep the interior warm for the workers. We met the forman and asked to see the approved plans before conducting the inspection. When he opened the plans, there was my note :) We both looked at the note, then at him, then at the closed windows and doors, and asked him why all the windows and doors were closed. Moral of the story, he was willing to go around and open all the windows and doors while we were there conducting our inspection just to appease us, but would have them all closed again once we left. A designer doesn't always do their customer right by providing natural ventilation as the primary means for ventilation and a customer is generally ignorant when lured in by a designer who states that natural ventilation can save in HVAC costs. I had another project, a child day care center, that proposed natural ventilation. I rejected the design, damning the consequesces, and was releaved when the building official agreed with the call. The safety of our children is more important than the cost savings on an HVAC system. Let them appeal !

Couldn’t you put security guards over the openings to keep the kids in and still have ventilation?
My concern would be more that it is extremely unlikely that the doors and windows would be left open while it is snowing and 25-deg. in January.

No ventilation means no fresh oxygen rich air. Carbon monoxide anyone.

Some people here (not me) think that screens are required if you are using doors for natural ventilation.
Not totally Correct, in California

CA Building Code 1203.5 Natural Ventilation
Natural ventilation of an occupied space shall be through windows, doors, louvers or other openings to the outdoors. The operating mechanism for such openings shall be provided with ready access so that the openings are readily controllable by the building occupants.
[HCD 1] In employee housing, all openable windows in rooms used for living, dining, cooking or sleeping purposes, and toilet and bath buildings, shall be provided and maintained with insect screening.
[HCD 1] Door openings of rooms used for dining, cooking, toilet and bathing facilities in employee housing shall be provided and maintained with insect screening or with solid doors equipped with self-closing devices in lieu thereof, when approved by the enforcement agency.

Under OSHPD
1224.4.9.4 Screens
Windows which may be frequently left in an open position shall be provided with insect screens of 16 meshes to the inch.

Not totally Correct, in California

CA Building Code 1203.5 Natural Ventilation
Natural ventilation of an occupied space shall be through windows, doors, louvers or other openings to the outdoors. The operating mechanism for such openings shall be provided with ready access so that the openings are readily controllable by the building occupants.
[HCD 1] In employee housing, all openable windows in rooms used for living, dining, cooking or sleeping purposes, and toilet and bath buildings, shall be provided and maintained with insect screening.
[HCD 1] Door openings of rooms used for dining, cooking, toilet and bathing facilities in employee housing shall be provided and maintained with insect screening or with solid doors equipped with self-closing devices in lieu thereof, when approved by the enforcement agency.

Under OSHPD
1224.4.9.4 Screens
Windows which may be frequently left in an open position shall be provided with insect screens of 16 meshes to the inch.

Thanks Mark, As I previously indicated,