• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

L shape stairs in garage

Trevor Roper

In the back left of the garage is where we are installing the door to the house from the garage. Now on the back wall, left side, close to the garage we are installing a door to a closet in the garage.

im wondering if there’s any code against building an L shape stair case so there is a step up to both the door to the house, and a door to the closet

located in MASS

Closet
In the back left of the garage is where we are installing the door to the house from the garage. Now on the back wall, left side, close to the garage we are installing a door to a closet in the garage.

im wondering if there’s any code against building an L shape stair case so there is a step up to both the door to the house, and a door to the closet

located in MASS

Sorry this is the best sketch I could do on the fly

Blue is the garage perimeter, white being the garage bay door. Yellow is where a doors would be. Red is outline of stair idea

located in MASS

Sorry this is the best sketch I could do on the fly

Blue is the garage perimeter, white being the garage bay door. Yellow is where a doors would be. Red is outline of stair idea

No see sketch

If not a forum supporting poster,,, you have to make it a link. And post the link

No see sketch

If not a forum supporting poster,,, you have to make it a link. And post the link
su42Pti

Stairs are generally never a problem unless the required clear space is reduced. We require 18'd x 20'w clear space for cars.

Prius or pickup?
:) I certainly agree, trying to fit them would be completely different between those 2 vehicles. I was thinking along the lines of the requirement you have for the minimal garage size you posted earlier which I'm assuming it for 2 cars.

:) I certainly agree, trying to fit them would be completely different between those 2 vehicles. I was thinking along the lines of the requirement you have for the minimal garage size you posted earlier which I'm assuming it for 2 cars.
18'dx10'w