• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Diaper changing station

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I have a proposal to install a diaper changing station inside a bathroom adjacent to the in-swing bathroom door. It does not provide the 18" required maneuvering clearance. I can't find specific guidance on this. My assumption is that, at a minimum, it would be an obstruction when down, therefore it must meet the maneuvering clearance requirement. Anybody dealt with this?

IMHO
All path of travel clearances must be maintained.
you cannot block another restroom user from entering or leaving the room, with the changing table.
find another place.

Even if it is clear in the up/closed position, I regularly see them left down, so chances are pretty good it will cause a problem.

If a single occupant restroom, I have seen it approved. Not sure that I agree, but have seen it.

If multi-occupant, find a new placement for sure.

Multiple user restroom in a huge national chain of restaurants. I made the comment, we'll see what happens.