• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Laundry sink/tray

Ten Tenths

Hi All

I have a couple of (basic) code questions relating to plumbing that I have been unable to determine and would appreciate input please (I am not a plumber).

A home owner recently mentioned to me that they had no laundry sink/tray/trough in their residential home at all in DFW.

Where I come from, a laundry tray/sink is mandatory/required under both the Health Code and the Plumbing code, (along with a floor waste), and in a multi home application the sink has also has a mandatory minimum capacity.

I have not been able to find an answer as to whether a laundry sink/tray is a requirement in SFR or multi home applications. Can anyone guide me to a code please?

Cheers

I've never heard of a laundry sink or a floor drain being required in a SFR. Even with our crazy plumbing code here in IL, neither one are a requirement.

IRC R306 only requires toilet facilities and a kitchen sink in a single famaily residence, duplex, or townhouse.

IPC table 403.1 requires toilet facilities, a kitchen sink, and a washer hookup in apartments.

IRC R306 only requires toilet facilities and a kitchen sink in a single famaily residence, duplex, or townhouse.

IPC table 403.1 requires toilet facilities, a kitchen sink, and a washer hookup in apartments.

Thank you. Appreciate it.

I wouldn't be witrhout one. I cleaned fish in a kitchen sink once.

Last edited:
Hi All

I have a couple of (basic) code questions relating to plumbing that I have been unable to determine and would appreciate input please (I am not a plumber).

A home owner recently mentioned to me that they had no laundry sink/tray/trough in their residential home at all in DFW.

Where I come from, a laundry tray/sink is mandatory/required under both the Health Code and the Plumbing code, (along with a floor waste), and in a multi home application the sink has also has a mandatory minimum capacity.

I have not been able to find an answer as to whether a laundry sink/tray is a requirement in SFR or multi home applications. Can anyone guide me to a code please?

Cheers

nope

Have not seen that Requirement in Texas

Hi All

Cheers

What is it you do that has lead to your concern about this?