• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire partition cannot go to roof deck because of a PEMB frame

Arkitekt4040

Hello,
Thanks in advance for ANY help that I can get here. (2012 IBC) I have an existing fire partition separating ambulatory care rooms from a exit corridor. I have attached a sketch of the current condition. The AHJ is now saying that this existing rated wall does not comply because the tested assembly was not tested with the PEMB frame in it. I have scoured section 721 and section 722 and I cannot figure out a way calculate the fire resistance of the assembly to satisfy the AHJ. Does anyone have any ideas how to make the AHJ happy? AHJ is holding occupancy permit hostage.
vJ8h4Lv

Welcome to the forum... to directly post an image, you must be a paying member (a Sawhorse); but your link on the first post works.

ThAbn9p.jpg

Is it just the corridor separation or are there other tenants? You could do the corridor tunnel:

3. Where the corridor ceiling is constructed as required for the corridor walls, the walls shall be permitted to terminate at the upper membrane of such ceiling assembly.

There has almost never been a fire rated assembly that terminates to a pure roof deck without any other interrupting structure....bar joists or beams or roof joists...

Is it just the corridor separation or are there other tenants? You could do the corridor tunnel:

3. Where the corridor ceiling is constructed as required for the corridor walls, the walls shall be permitted to terminate at the upper membrane of such ceiling assembly.

There has almost never been a fire rated assembly that terminates to a pure roof deck without any other interrupting structure....bar joists or beams or roof joists...
This happens in 2 places, one a corridor wall and one a corridor wall/tenant separation. I have never had this much trouble with an AHJ before. We could possibly try the rated ceiling approach. Im trying to find the least disruptive and most economical way to help the owner out.

An exit enclosure (fire barrier) is allowed to terminate at a rated lid, (as much as it pains me at times) shirley a FP can.....Build UL419 wall/soffits on either side of the beam and a hung Chicago metallic drywall 1hr lid...?

Assuming your wall is parallel and directly under the beam....

Hello,
Thanks in advance for ANY help that I can get here. (2012 IBC) I have an existing fire partition separating ambulatory care rooms from a exit corridor. I have attached a sketch of the current condition. The AHJ is now saying that this existing rated wall does not comply because the tested assembly was not tested with the PEMB frame in it. I have scoured section 721 and section 722 and I cannot figure out a way calculate the fire resistance of the assembly to satisfy the AHJ. Does anyone have any ideas how to make the AHJ happy? AHJ is holding occupancy permit hostage.
vJ8h4Lv

Is the rated separation between ambulatory care and the exit corridor required by code? I'm assuming this is a non-sprinklered building as rated corridor walls are usually not required in buildings with sprinklers. But I also thought ambulatory care facilities required sprinklers.

422.2 Separation. Ambulatory care facilities where the
potential for four or more care recipients are to be incapable
of self-preservation at any time, whether rendered incapable
by staff or staff accepted responsibility for a care recipient
already incapable, shall be separated from adjacent spaces,
corridors or tenants with a fire partition
installed in accordance
with Section 708.

Tell that AHJ the detail complies based on Ch 7 Calculated fire resistance. Each layer of 5.8" Type X gyp gets you 40 minutes. BOOM you got 80 minutes. See TABLE 722.2.1.4(2)