• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How to Determine Door Ratings for Various Spaces?

radioatlas

Working on an ambulatory surgery suite (IBC 2015). The state reviewer has corrected several of my door fire ratings, and I want to cross check the work. I'm realizing I don't have a strong understanding of how to determine door ratings for different scenarios. Can someone help point me in the right direction? The majority of partitions are 1 hour rated (suite entry, surgery room, pump room, electrical, medgas, soiled holding) with varying door ratings ( 0 min., 20 min, 45 min, 60 min). Any guidance y'all could provide would be much appreciated.

Working on an ambulatory surgery suite (IBC 2015). The state reviewer has corrected several of my door fire ratings, and I want to cross check the work. I'm realizing I don't have a strong understanding of how to determine door ratings for different scenarios. Can someone help point me in the right direction? The majority of partitions are 1 hour rated (suite entry, surgery room, pump room, electrical, medgas, soiled holding) with varying door ratings ( 0 min., 20 min, 45 min, 60 min). Any guidance y'all could provide would be much appreciated.

Your problem also, project may need to meet NFPA 101

So with that,

Is this a stand alone as say in a medical office building, and they have one suite???

Or in a hospital

Besides the fire-resistance rating of the wall, what you need to know is the type of fire-resistance-rated assembly the wall is, and how it is being used. Once you determine that, then use Table 716.5 to determine the rating of the door opening.

Be sure to check chapter 4 for your occupancy - I-2 has several requirements that are spelled out in this chapter which is reinforced in chapter 7 - However chapter 7 might not tell you what has to be protected to what level - such as clean laundry and soiled laundry closets/storage

Thanks for your replies. As for questions from above... Business occupancy. Stand alone facility (outpatient). Yes to meet NFPA code but non-sprinklered. Reading through the links you sent now...

Thanks for your replies. As for questions from above... Business occupancy. Stand alone facility (outpatient). Yes to meet NFPA code but non-sprinklered. Reading through the links you sent now...

Sounds good

Without seeing a floor plan with wall and door ratings a little hard to give more guidance

Even though you say you are not an “I”

Check 509 maybe that is where it is coming from

Guessing the door has to carry the same rating as the wall

Even though you say you are not an “I”

Check 509 maybe that is where it is coming from

Guessing the door has to carry the same rating as the wall
More likely has to do with where the door is located.

Per Table 716.5 (I posted above), a 1-hr fire partition for a corridor wall has to be a 20-min. door, whereas a fire partition separating suites or other rooms must have a 45-min. door.

Per Table 716.5 (I posted above), a 1-hr fire partition for a corridor wall has to be a 20-min. door, whereas a fire partition separating suites or other rooms must have a 45-min. door.

The lay out

Attachments

• screenshot3.pdf
    372.9 KB · Views: 8
The lay out
If this is the layout from the OP, then we have a whole new issue. They are not fire partitions, but are fire barriers required by Table 509 - Incidental Uses.

Incidental uses are required to be protected per Table 509, which once followed will instruct you that the separations shall be constructed as fire barriers per Section 509.4.1. Going back to Table 716.5, one will therein find that Fire Barriers of 1-hr construction and not part of the exit, require a 45-min rating.

509.4.1 Separation
Where Table 509 specifies a fire-resistance-rated separation, the incidental uses shall be separated from the remainder of the building by a fire barrier constructed in accordance with Section 707 or a horizontal assembly constructed in accordance with Section 711, or both. Construction supporting 1-hour fire barriers or horizontal assemblies used for incidental use separations in buildings of Type IIB, IIIB and VB construction is not required to be fire-resistance-rated unless required by other sections of this code.
IMHO, in looking at the plan posted by CDA, the red-line markups are wrong. Doors 119, 122, and 123 are all 1-hr fire compartments for an incidental use and require a 45-min rating. Door 116 is a tenant separation wall (a fire partition) and even though serving a corridor, should have a 45-min. door as it provides separation of suites not access to the corridor from within the tenant space. So in summary, my opinion is 45-min for each of the 4 called out.

If this is the layout from the OP, then we have a whole new issue. They are not fire partitions, but are fire barriers required by Table 509 - Incidental Uses.

Incidental uses are required to be protected per Table 509, which once followed will instruct you that the separations shall be constructed as fire barriers per Section 509.4.1. Going back to Table 716.5, one will therein find that Fire Barriers of 1-hr construction and not part of the exit, require a 45-min rating.

509.4.1 Separation
Where Table 509 specifies a fire-resistance-rated separation, the incidental uses shall be separated from the remainder of the building by a fire barrier constructed in accordance with Section 707 or a horizontal assembly constructed in accordance with Section 711, or both. Construction supporting 1-hour fire barriers or horizontal assemblies used for incidental use separations in buildings of Type IIB, IIIB and VB construction is not required to be fire-resistance-rated unless required by other sections of this code.
IMHO, in looking at the plan posted by CDA, the red-line markups are wrong. Doors 119, 122, and 123 are all 1-hr fire compartments for an incidental use and require a 45-min rating. Door 116 is a tenant separation wall (a fire partition) and even though serving a corridor, should have a 45-min. door as it provides separation of suites not access to the corridor from within the tenant space. So in summary, my opinion is 45-min for each of the 4 called out.

yes op layout

Just the messenger

But then does some of 509 not apply??

I think the place has to comply with 101, also
Section 509 would apply for the storage and soiled linen rooms. The medgas room will need to comply with Section 427 if the 2018 IBC applies or the IFC if earlier editions are used. NFPA 101 would only apply if they seek Joint Commission accreditation or if the jurisdiction adopted it.

Reactions: cda
But then does some of 509 not apply??

I think the place has to comply with 101, also
Why would Section 509 not apply? As Ron said, IBC Section 509 applies to the storage and soiled linen rooms. Med-gas per IFC Section 5306.

Reactions: cda