• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

handrail extension at the top landing

michael2020

code masters, I have a question on handrail extension. Per the building code, the handrail shall extend 12" the same direction at the top landing unless there's another flight of stair.

Q: Do I have to extend the handrail for 12" the same direction of the handrail or I can wrap around on the side?

Thanks everyone

this is a new building.
Then, no, the handrail must extend 12 inches in the direction of the handrail. If this were an alteration, the extension would not be required if it projected into the pathway creating a hazard.

Then, no, the handrail must extend 12 inches in the direction of the handrail. If this were an alteration, the extension would not be required if it projected into the pathway creating a hazard.
I agree with you. But I see so many of the building just have the handrail wrapped around to the side of the guardrail. I wish we have a better way to post a picture to explain this.

Wrapping the extension around a corner does nothing for the user of the stairs. The purpose of the extension is to provide the user with something to grasp as they clear the last riser. Nobody should be required to reach out to their side 4 to 12 inches to grasp a handrail when they need support; and, if they do, this extra reaching could cause the user to even further lose their balance.

Agree with RLGA. I admit some of these things seem silly.....until you walk with a mobility impaired person. When my mother was sick I learned a lot about why some of these rules exist. Things like a 1/2" level change are easy for me to navigate, but to her they could be a real hidden hazard. When she would approach a set of steps from the top, the ability to grasp the handrail extension before her first descending step was very important. Personally I would rather see a reduced extension than a turned extension in an existing building.

Agree with RLGA. I admit some of these things seem silly.....until you walk with a mobility impaired person. When my mother was sick I learned a lot about why some of these rules exist. Things like a 1/2" level change are easy for me to navigate, but to her they could be a real hidden hazard. When she would approach a set of steps from the top, the ability to grasp the handrail extension before her first descending step was very important. Personally I would rather see a reduced extension than a turned extension in an existing building.
very well explained. Thank you.

The wrapped handrail is better than creating an obstruction that could cause an greater hazard. (The idea of falling at the top of the stairs is not a comfortable thought.) Given that we can not see the actual scenario in question, I do not want to give a definitive answer, but am very confident that the Code Official having jurisdiction can.

Totally agree with you and RGLA. On another note, ANSI use to require 12"+ 1 tread on the "downhill" why they changed it to 12" only I don't know. As with you watching my parents age (as I am now) the handrail extensions are a must, the extra 11" +/- was of great benefit going down a stair. I still use the 12"+1 tread when I can without too much difficulty.

Ken

Finally get to go someplace for a weekend and something I know crops up.

1.) The handrail must extend in the same direction for the entire extension. IF there is not enough room the designer didn't do their job correctly.

2.) Second, for ADA & ABA, the extension on the top of stairs, and top and bottom of ramps is measured to the inside, not overall, only the bottom extension is measured to the outer point. And before the turn down or return starts.

Here are the basics on the Access-Boards website:

https://www.access-board.gov/guidel...uide-to-the-aba-standards/chapter-5-stairways

KH-55, the reason ANSI and ADA/ABA removed the lower stair level extension was at the request of the Visually Impaired community, what was thought to be a benefit was causing much more injuries to those with visual sight issues.

Totally agree with you and RGLA. On another note, ANSI use to require 12"+ 1 tread on the "downhill" why they changed it to 12" only I don't know. As with you watching my parents age (as I am now) the handrail extensions are a must, the extra 11" +/- was of great benefit going down a stair. I still use the 12"+1 tread when I can without too much difficulty.

Ken

Contrary to ADA, NO?

Finally get to go someplace for a weekend and something I know crops up.

1.) The handrail must extend in the same direction for the entire extension. IF there is not enough room the designer didn't do their job correctly.

2.) Second, for ADA & ABA, the extension on the top of stairs, and top and bottom of ramps is measured to the inside, not overall, only the bottom extension is measured to the outer point. And before the turn down or return starts.

Here are the basics on the Access-Boards website:

https://www.access-board.gov/guidel...uide-to-the-aba-standards/chapter-5-stairways

KH-55, the reason ANSI and ADA/ABA removed the lower stair level extension was at the request of the Visually Impaired community, what was thought to be a benefit was causing much more injuries to those with visual sight issues.
what if the stair is an existing monumental stair in the front of the main entrance? this monumental stair is used also for egress purpose.

what if the stair is an existing monumental stair in the front of the main entrance? this monumental stair is used also for egress purpose.
Add the extensions if they do not create a hazard (e.g., extending into the required egress width of an adjoining corridor).

thanks Ron.

Here is the challenge for existing monumental stairs
1. it has columns at the top landing. The current handrail extent to the edge of the column and stops. when we alter the handrails, can I extend the handrail extension around the column?

2. at the bottom of the stair, the stair becomes wider than top to make it more welcome looking. The current handrail follows the curve of the stair edge. Do I extend the handrail following the same curve or go straight?

thanks Ron.

Here is the challenge for existing monumental stairs
1. it has columns at the top landing. The current handrail extent to the edge of the column and stops. when we alter the handrails, can I extend the handrail extension around the column?

2. at the bottom of the stair, the stair becomes wider than top to make it more welcome looking. The current handrail follows the curve of the stair edge. Do I extend the handrail following the same curve or go straight?
I believe that the OP was for a new building; however, if this was an existing building I would imagine that at minimum, the scope of work would constitute a Level 2 Alteration (may be a Level 3, an addition, or change of use). For a Level 2 Alteration and upwards, the IEBC provides the following:

805.9 Handrails
The requirements of Sections 805.9.1 and 805.9.2 shall apply to handrails from the work area floor to, and including, the level of exit discharge.

805.9.1 Minimum Requirement
Every required exit stairway that is part of the means of egress for any work area and that has three or more risers and is not provided with at least one handrail, or in which the existing handrails are judged to be in danger of collapsing, shall be provided with handrails for the full length of the stairway on at least one side. All exit stairways with a required egress width of more than 66 inches (1676 mm) shall have handrails on both sides.

805.9.2 Design
Handrails required in accordance with Section 805.9.1 shall be designed and installed in accordance with the provisions of the International Building Code.
Thus you are right back at IBC 1014.6:

1014.6 Handrail Extensions
Handrails shall return to a wall, guard or the walking surface or shall be continuous to the handrail of an adjacent flight of stairs or ramp run. Where handrails are not continuous between flights,
the handrails shall extend horizontally not less than 12 inches (305 mm) beyond the top riser and continue to slope for the depth of one tread beyond the bottom riser. At ramps where handrails are not continuous between runs, the handrails shall extend horizontally above the landing 12 inches (305 mm) minimum beyond the top and bottom of ramp runs. The extensions of handrails shall be in the same direction of the flights of stairs at stairways and the ramp runs at ramps.
Exceptions:
  1. Handrails within a dwelling unit that is not required to be accessible need extend only from the top riser to the bottom riser.
  2. Handrails serving aisles in rooms or spaces used for assembly purposes are permitted to comply with the handrail extensions in accordance with Section 1029.15.
  3. Handrails for alternating tread devices and ships ladders are permitted to terminate at a location vertically above the top and bottom risers. Handrails for alternating tread devices are not required to be continuous between flights or to extend beyond the top or bottom risers.​
As a note to all, take note of the last sentence of 1014.6. "The extensions of handrails shall be in the same direction of the flights of stairs at stairways and the ramp runs at ramps."

For multiple runs of stairs, one can avoid the extensions altogether by having a continuous handrail per the first sentence of 1014.6.

1. The handrail cannot be interrupted, so you can angle it inward slightly and then straighten it out to avoid the column--provided the moving inward of the handrail does not reduce the required egress capacity of the stairway.

2. I would extend the handrail along the tangent of the curve at the last riser. In other words, the direction the handrail is pointing at the location of the last riser should be the direction of the one-tread-depth extension.

Per 2010 ADA section 505.10 Exception 3, they allow for pre existing conditions during alterations of structures built prior to the ACT, but no new structures have an excuse other than not designed correctly. If there is not enough room, the designer did not allocate space correctly for it!

I included section 505.10 with the exception below for quick reference.

Below retyped from the 2010 ADA from ADA.GOV website:

505.10 Handrail Extensions.
Handrail gripping surfaces shall extend beyond and in the same direction of stair flights and ramp runs in accordance with 505.10.

EXCEPTIONS:

1. Extensions shall not be required for continuous handrails at the inside turn of switchback or dogleg stairs and ramps.

2. In assembly areas, extensions shall not be required for ramp handrails in aisles serving seating where the handrails are discontinuous to provide access to seating and to permit crossovers within aisles.

3. In alterations, full extensions of handrails shall not be required where such extensions would be hazardous due to plan configuration.

2010ADASAD 505.3 Continuity. Handrails shall be continuous within the full length of each stair flight or ramp run. Inside handrails on switchback or dogleg stairs and ramps shall be continuous between flights or runs.

ANSI 117.1

upload_2020-6-11_6-16-9.png

One way to achieve both requirements
not the best way, one way

large