• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CPET in non separated mixed use building

Tim Mailloux

I am looking at a floor plan that’s non-separated mixed use B & A-3, these two groups have different CPET requirements of 100’ and 75’ respectively. Seeing how its non-separated mixed use do I apply the worst case 75’ CPET to the entire floor?

I guess the same question would apply to travel distance.

Stricter normally applies

Now if you have B on one side and Aon other, I could see applying separately

When looking at the MoE, the CPET requirement pertains to what occupancy it is serving.

If the egress path serves the A-3 in any way, even if it is just one person out of an office, the CPET is reduced to 75-ft.

EDIT: Conversely, if the MoE only serves as a path for the B, then the 100-ft CPET may be used.

Thats how I have always done it, but recently I have had a few co-workers tell me I'm a little to strict or black & white with the code and need to start looking for shades of grey :)

Well when THEY find the Gray Scale in the book, let me know.

Or just hand them the plans and say ok, you sign them. So when we go to court, they know how to spell your name correctly on the subpoena.

Section 508.3.1 (2018 IBC) on nonseparated occupancies states in part "The requirements of this code shall apply to each portion of the building based on the occupancy classification of that space."

Thus, even though the spaces are not separated, each separately classified space complies with the requirements of the building code for that space. Therefore, the Group A-3 has a CPET of 75 ft. while the Group B areas can have a travel distance of 100 ft. if sprinkled throughout.

Last edited:
Until they change the office to a conference room and create a violation....
Only if the conference room is larger than 750 sq. ft. and it is more than 75 ft. from the point where occupants have a choice between two separate egress paths.