• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water closet requirements for small B occupancy

John Ogden

I am trying to understand the implications of how Table 403.1 is organized. The Water Closet (toilet) requirements have separate gender columns for most occupancies, but then the Business B occupancy is organized differently. My client has a small restaurant with an occupant load of 35. This qualifies as B occupancy, not A-2 (303.1.1). Can the two required water closets be in the same unisex bathroom? A toilet and a urinal? Under 40 occupancy, only 1 lavatory (sink) is required.

I would say no, you are required to provide fixtures for each sex and both would be required to be handicap accessible. If these two toilets were next to one another you could label them as unisex and only make one of them handicap accessible, but its my understanding that you will still need to two toilets

I now see 403.2 requiring separate facilities for each sex (gender), which suggests the answer is no. How do unisex facilities fit into this construct?

I would say no, you are required to provide fixtures for each sex and both would be required to be handicap accessible. If these two toilets were next to one another you could label them as unisex and only make one of them handicap accessible, but its my understanding that you will still need to two toilets
Thanks for your reply. You anticipated my next question. Which was to offer one ADA Unisex, and one non-ADA unisex bathroom.

You could easily do this in California. There is an exception specifically for M and B less than 50 occupants. No idea where you are.

Check the plumbing code table as to how many seats you are providing, it indicates the minimum number of fixtures required.
Also if serving alcohol the license may require urinals.