• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Addition & change of occupancy classification to an existing building

Tim Mailloux

I'm looking at existing 2 story building, largest floor is 58,00SF, A2 occupancy, type 2A construction and no sprinklers. We are renovating about 75% of the building and changing the occupancy classification of the renovated portion of the building from A2 to A3. As a cost savings measure the client does not want to install sprinklers in the unrenovated A2 portion of the building, which is allowed per IEBC section 1012.1.1.2 & 1012.2.1 as long as we separate the two occupancies with a fire barrier, which will be provided.

As part of the scope we are also demoing a small 3000SF wing at the rear of the building and adding an addition of 2500SF to the front of the building, the overall building area is decreasing. Without the installation of a new full building sprinkler system the existing building is much larger than what is allowed per chapter 5 of the IBC for new construction. Sections 1101.2 & 1102.2 both state that the area of an existing building and addition must comply with the area limitations of that for a new building per chapter 5 of the IBC. My gut is telling me that we cannot add this addition without providing a new sprinkler system through the entire existing building (renovated and unrenovated area). But seeing how we are actually making the overall building smaller do you see a case to not have to provide sprinklers in the unrenovated A2 occupancy?

What will they be doing in the A-3??

yes, the entire A3 area consists of the addition and renovated potion of the building and that portion of the building will have a new prinkler system. Only the unrenovated A2 portion of the building would not have a sprinkler system

yes, the entire A3 area consists of the addition and renovated potion of the building and that portion of the building will have a new prinkler system. Only the unrenovated A2 portion of the building would not have a sprinkler system

I was wondering what they are going to do in the A-3?
The use? What are the people going to be doing.

Of what value is the building to the owner to forgo sprinklering? To lose the square footage (income from it?) Again, what would his insurance adjuster say?

Of what value is the building to the owner to forgo sprinklering? To lose the square footage (income from it?) Again, what would his insurance adjuster say?

the original project scope include a renovation of the entire building and a new sprinkler system throughout. At the end of our DD phase the estimates came back way to high and we are now going through a value engineering exercise to get the project scope and budget to align. This is a publicly funded / bonded project and there is no going back for additional funds, if we don't get the project on budget there is no project.

About 75% of the building (renovated areas and additions) will have a new sprinkler system installed, we are looking for a way to not have to install sprinklers in the remaining 25% of the building (a large gymnasium with no spectator seating & exercise room) which is outside the project scope.

What will they be doing in the A-3??

I got things backwards, the existing building is an A3 occupancy (gymnasium, exercise room & Lecture Halls). The A3 gym portion of the building will remain as-is, and the bulk of the building (the existing lecture halls) will be demolished and converted into an A2 dinning hall for the campus.

I got things backwards, the existing building is an A3 occupancy (gymnasium, exercise room & Lecture Halls). The A3 gym portion of the building will remain as-is, and the bulk of the building (the existing lecture halls) will be demolished and converted into an A2 dinning hall for the campus.

I do not see an out??

How were you planning to divide the Fire Areas?? sprinkled from non sprinkled?

I do not see an out??

How were you planning to divide the Fire Areas?? sprinkled from non sprinkled?

we are planning on separating the two occupancies with a fire barrier as allowed by IEBC section 1012.1.1.2 & 1012.2.1. Is the 'addition' that throws the monkey wrench in the works. Our argument (one I do not believe) is that we have made the overall building smaller, so how can the new envelope construction be an addition.

S
we are planning on separating the two occupancies with a fire barrier as allowed by IEBC section 1012.1.1.2 & 1012.2.1. Is the 'addition' that throws the monkey wrench in the works. Our argument (one I do not believe) is that we have made the overall building smaller, so how can the new envelope construction be an addition.

Smaller, but more people???

S

Smaller, but more people???

Probably more people, but Im not certain. The existing area being renovated was also an A occupancy with a high load but no one studied the existing occupant load as the original project was complete gut / renovation / addition with the entire project being treated as new construction under the IBC. With the large portion of the building staying as-is and out of the project scope we have to shift over to IEBC world.

Lets see:
1. It is a publicly owned building
2. You are altering it (altered areas must comply with new construction requirements)
3. If you separate altered areas from existing you might get away with it.
4. budgets are no guarantee as to final cost.