• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hand Free Door Opener, Foot Operated

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
2015 IBC. New fit-out for B occupancy.
They want to make everything hands free nowadays because of the virus. This is what they want to put on the pull side of restroom doors. They don't need a smooth surface on the bottom 10" on the pull side. . It's 3-1/2" deep so it won't be a protruding object. Door has no latch and the (hand) handle to open the door complies with accessibility requirements. What I'm worrying about this thing. IBC 1109.13 that requires controls, operating mechanisms and hardware intended for operation by the occupant shall be accessible and ICC/ANSI A117.1 that has door hardware requirements that this thing can't comply too. The normal handle on the door does comply but this thing doesn't. I don't see anything in the code that let's a second door opener on a door not to be accessible I could see this getting caught on a walker or wheelchair. Would this comply to code?
This is on the pull side offoot pedal.jpg

Yes possible trip hazard

No unless violates some other part, you can have multiple devices

Power open door,,,

Either push the button or pull the door,,, two means,,, or else they would not install handles.

Let them install and move on.... the typical door handle meets the accessibility requirement.

See these installed all the time after CO. Wouldn't have any issue with install prior to CO either.

I don't see any real issue with it. I'm not sure how a three and a half inch protrusion would be a trip hazard unless the door were to be propped open and this were to be on the exposed side but then why would you need this to be installed on that side? Sometimes we, myself included, tend to overthink things.

Ever walk up to a pull door and reach for it just as someone from the inside is barreling out? Imagine if you are standing there on one foot, trying to balance while trying to get a toe hold on that and pull it towards you when that guy comes barreling out. Someone is going to end up on the ground. Not sure I would want this in my facility from a risk management perspective.