• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

How to count fixture requirements in old code?

gnarkill283

TvPsFQt
Nowhere is it mentioned how to count the toilets once you've gone over 100 occupants. If I have 200 occupants does that mean half is considered female and the other half male or not?

TvPsFQt
Nowhere is it mentioned how to count the toilets once you've gone over 100 occupants. If I have 200 occupants does that mean half is considered female and the other half male or not?
In order to post an image directly on the forum, you must be a paid member. Otherwise, you may post as a link.

Generally speaking, yes it is 50% 50%

Last edited:
TvPsFQt
In any of the modern building codes with plumbing fixture count requirements (e.g., IBC, last edition of the UBC, UPC, etc.), the ratio of male/female occupants has been 50/50 regardless of the number of occupants. Therefore, if the occupant load is 100, you plan on fixtures for 50 males and 50 females. If the occupant load is 400, you plan on fixtures for 200 males and 200 females.

So, for an occupant load of 100 (50 males and 50 females) and the fixture ratio is 1 per 100, then you must provide one fixture for males and one fixture for females.

If the occupant load is 400 (200 males and 200 females) with the same fixture ratio, then you must provide two fixtures for males and two fixtures for females.

If I have 200 occupants does that mean half is considered female and the other half male or not?

1-per 100 occupants
2-per 200 occupants?

IPC 4031.1 has an exception for statistical data...do you have statistical data?

In any of the modern building codes with plumbing fixture count requirements (e.g., IBC, last edition of the UBC, UPC, etc.), the ratio of male/female occupants has been 50/50 regardless of the number of occupants. Therefore, if the occupant load is 100, you plan on fixtures for 50 males and 50 females. If the occupant load is 400, you plan on fixtures for 200 males and 200 females.

So, for an occupant load of 100 (50 males and 50 females) and the fixture ratio is 1 per 100, then you must provide one fixture for males and one fixture for females.

If the occupant load is 400 (200 males and 200 females) with the same fixture ratio, then you must provide two fixtures for males and two fixtures for females.

Careful, the number of fixtures is based on type of occupancy too, see table in Plumbing Code

Careful, the number of fixtures is based on type of occupancy too, see table in Plumbing Code
Those were only examples to show how a fixture ratio is applied to occupant load--I intentionally did not mention occupancy or fixture type.

Please see my previous link. So if I have 417 occupants that means I need for men: 3t/6u/4l and women: 6t/5l for the first 100. Then 317/2 = 158.5 /25 = 6.34 rounded up to 7 units of men and women so + 7/7/7 and 7/7 to get a total of for men: 10t/13u/11l and women: 13t/12l correct? Appreciate all the help btw.

Also this is a business building with assembly spaces. The 417 is what I get when I combine the 2. Can I use the plumbing fixture requirement for business for the business occupants and the plumbing fixture requirement for assembly for the assembly occupants or treat them all as business like I did in my last post? The result would be less toilets

I don't know where that table came from, but it wasn't from the 2003 IBC.

Under the IBC, determine the fixture counts for each occupancy independently without rounding up. Then you total the fractional fixture counts for each occupancy and then round up to get the actual numbers.

What are the occupant loads for each and what is the assembly occupancy?

If you go to the above link, go to page 604 of the pdf. There you can find Table P(1) which has the minimum number of water closets and lavatories for general occupancies such as factories, stores, office buildings, places of employment not serving food or drink, and residential. Note that this table notes that the fixtures are for the use of both sexes, and separates it into columns for men and women.

Subsequent tables on page 606 through 611 of the pdf, have Table P(2) through Table P(6) which provided fixture requirements for specific occupancies.With these tables it separates it out for male and female as well.

Presumably a 50:50 ratio is used for all occupanices unless supported by other evidence (i.e. an all boy school, gender specific occupancies, empirical data, etc.)

Last edited:

For over 100 occupants, see the bottom 3 cells of the table. It tells you what to do when you are over 100 occupants.

upload_2020-7-1_14-6-35.png

Check fixture count required for office vs assembly, your number of fixtures will increase.