• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Access Door in Floor to Ceiling Space Below

Mech

2015 IBC
0 hour rated floor assembly

The owner is looking to install a few access hatches to provide maintenance access from the floor above into the ceiling / floor space below. The 5 ft tall ceiling space is above refrigerated rooms with insulated metal panel ceilings and will house ductwork and piping.

Is a fire rated door required in the floor assembly and if so, what is the minimum rating?

Section 711.3 Nonfire-resistance-rated floor and roof assemblies directs me to 711.3.2 Continuity which directs me to Section 712.

Section 712.1.13 Openings. Vertical Openings for floor fire doors and access doors shall be permitted where protected by Section 712.1.13.1 or 712.1.13.2 (The code commentary states that floor fire door assemblies must be installed in fire-resistance-rated floors and nonfire-resistance-rated floors.)

Section 712.1.13.1 Horizontal fire door assemblies. Horizontal fire door assemblies used to protect openings in fire-resistance rated horizontal assemblies shall be tested in accordance with NFPA 288, and shall achieve a fire-resistance rating not less than the assembly being penetrated. Horizontal fire door assemblies shall be labeled by an approved agency. The label shall be permanently affixed and shall specify the manufacturer, the test standard and the fire-resistance rating.

712.1.13.2 Access Doors
I did not think this applies.

Thanks.

As someone else says “ Fire Burns Up”

What is the floor material and support below made of??

Fire sprinkler system??

cda: Oops, I forgot constructions type - 2B, so the floor is concrete held in place by steel.

The building does have a sprinkler system.

ADAguy: I assume you mean required fire resistances based on construction type that I forgot to include? Type 2B. If I recall correctly, the only fire ratings are for a 3 hour rated fire wall and 1 hour fire rated enclosed stair towers.

That is an interesting one....At a "minimum" it would have to meet fireblocking, and technically it is an opening connecting 2 stories (712.1.9) so i would start there and see if it is allowed to be non-protected....

Or i would certainly allow this:

712.1.13.2 Access doors. Access doors shall be permitted
in ceilings of fire-resistance-rated floor/ceiling and
roof/ceiling assemblies, provided such doors are tested
in accordance with ASTM E119 or UL 263 as horizontal
assemblies and labeled by an approved agency for
such purpose.

Technically, you do not have a vertical opening, because the opening does not also go through the ceiling.

I would look to Section 714.5. The concern is the "free passage of flame and products of combustion." If the access hatch is sealed, then I don't think any rating is required, but if you want to step up your game, you can add any rated access panel. Now, access panels used for walls are tested from the exposed side and not the concealed side, so if you want to use one of those you probably can because of the better seals between the access panel and the frame (but they may not be able to take a floor load). If you want better protection from below should the ceiling fail quickly, then any rated horizontal floor door would be better (plus they can take the floor load).

Thanks for the input. I will need to look into those sections.

Floor loading will not be an issue as there will be a steel grated walkway about a foot above the floor.