• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

POLL: preferred length of webinar

What is your preferred length of a building code education webinar?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glenn

With live conferences cancelled, educators are having to adapt and adjust. A half-day or full-day live class is normal, but what about a live, online webinar? Without economic considerations, what is your preferred length of a webinar?

I welcome any other comments that may assist educators to better serve you online.

I normally do not do webinars and such

Can they be made into podcasts, so they can be watched at leisure or time fits ?

I normally do not do webinars and such

Can they be made into podcasts, so they can be watched at leisure or time fits ?
I have been offering on-demand, online courses since 2012 and have over 40 hours in 12 classes available. So, yes. These on-demand courses are way more than just a recorded webinar, as they include practice quizzes, code sections references, self study ideas, and downloadable infographic handouts. They are broken into sessions so you don't have to complete them in one sitting. Each session can be returned to and viewed without a chronology, so they can be a quick reference and not having to click through modules to get to the one you want. There is a coupon code for Sawhorse supporters of this forum in the "code talk" section. www.buildingcodecollege.com/catalog

However, this year, I have found "webinar" to be the buzz word that people are seeking. People that have not taken online education look for "webinars". This is why I also started offering webinars on top of my on-demand courses. However, I see many 6-hour webinars and wonder if attendees are really able to stay attentive for that long when not sitting in a room in front of the instructor. I don't think I could...

Ok I guess I need to look into your web site

Been awhile plus I was getting over educated, up till about end of last year.

Glenn, 60 mins have worked out best IMO, the 90 min webinars during work hours a bit long, creates a back log of phone calls.

Its hard to sit in a room with some instructors for any length of time. Glenn is pretty energetic so I can last a little while. 2hrs is about the length before my focus and bladder need a break.:D

Can't stand more than 30 seconds of webinars. What a god awful way to obtain continuing ed.
You do realize that the OP is a great supporter of this forum who runs a site that provides continuing education through various platforms including webinars?

Why not either provide a valid suggestion or just move along without responding. Are you so self-important that you do not realize that the vast majority of folks have more than a 30-second attention span?

Can't stand more than 30 seconds of webinars. What a god awful way to obtain continuing ed.
Maybe you just need to pick better webinars. This Thursday at 9 am MDT for a 90 minute webinar, "Sizes and Services". It's part 8 of a 9-part series that addresses every section and subsection of IRC Chapter 3. $15 for 90 minutes (0.15 CEU). www.buildingcodecollege.com/webinars

Ty J, thanks for having my back, ha, ha! I do have to agree with Min&Max, though, to the extent that "some" webinars are pretty sleepy...

I'll take his suggestion as "60 minutes at most, unless it's boring. Don't be boring"

You do realize that the OP is a great supporter of this forum who runs a site that provides continuing education through various platforms including webinars?

Why not either provide a valid suggestion or just move along without responding. Are you so self-important that you do not realize that the vast majority of folks have more than a 30-second attention span?
Every now and then you piss me off with some meanness directed at an unsuspecting forum member.

Every now and then you piss me off with some meanness directed at an unsuspecting forum member.
Me? Gee, I thought that I was having Glenn's back for a comment that put him on blast....

Min&Max, I had absolutely no intent of being "mean" towards "an unsuspecting forum member".

I greatly appreciate webinars that are on topic, relevant, and solution based, without opinions, soapboxes, or needless attempts at humor.

Well... hmmmm... I admit I tend to offer my opinions from a soapbox with bad jokes as I suggest relevant solutions to the course topics. Oh boy! That might be why I tend to go a little bit long in my 90 webinars.

I think professional opinions are good to fill the holes in the code and to make the instruction more than just a book reading session. I do offer opinions when there is poorly written code that is hard to explain, but I feel that is important. The code, like people, are given a chance to change for the better when they recognize and reveal their mistakes and short-comings. Humor in building codes is almost always an "attempt". Where I do agree, is I could stand to do less of my soap box lecturing. When I edit the webinar recordings into short videos, I realize how much I yap-yap a bit too long at times.

Thanks for the comments.

And Ty J., Thanks for monitoring this topic. I usually agree with ICE, and always enjoy seeing his posts. But today his coffee must have been old, or he just wasn't in his usual happy place. So ignore the negative and keep up the good work.

I have been offering on-demand, online courses since 2012 and have over 40 hours in 12 classes available. So, yes. These on-demand courses are way more than just a recorded webinar, as they include practice quizzes, code sections references, self study ideas, and downloadable infographic handouts. They are broken into sessions so you don't have to complete them in one sitting. Each session can be returned to and viewed without a chronology, so they can be a quick reference and not having to click through modules to get to the one you want. There is a coupon code for Sawhorse supporters of this forum in the "code talk" section. www.buildingcodecollege.com/catalog

However, this year, I have found "webinar" to be the buzz word that people are seeking. People that have not taken online education look for "webinars". This is why I also started offering webinars on top of my on-demand courses. However, I see many 6-hour webinars and wonder if attendees are really able to stay attentive for that long when not sitting in a room in front of the instructor. I don't think I could..

However, this year, I have found "webinar" to be the buzz word that people are seeking. People that have not taken online education look for "webinars". This is why I also started offering webinars on top of my on-demand courses. However, I see many 6-hour webinars and wonder if attendees are really able to stay attentive for that long when not sitting in a room in front of the instructor. I don't think I could...
Glenn, Prior to the pandemic I was taking live building code classes, 3 hours on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and 6 hours on Saturday starting in the mornings. With only 2 months to go of a 9 month course the pandemic hit then we started having online classes but we changed to only the 3 hours on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, eliminated Saturdays and extended the duration by 2 months right up until we could sit for our exams. 3 hours of class with a 15 minute break at the 1-1/2 mark was about the max. After 3 hours it would have been difficult to maintain focus.

Maybe you just need to pick better webinars. This Thursday at 9 am MDT for a 90 minute webinar, "Sizes and Services". It's part 8 of a 9-part series that addresses every section and subsection of IRC Chapter 3. $15 for 90 minutes (0.15 CEU). www.buildingcodecollege.com/webinars

Ty J, thanks for having my back, ha, ha! I do have to agree with Min&Max, though, to the extent that "some" webinars are pretty sleepy...

I'll take his suggestion as "60 minutes at most, unless it's boring. Don't be boring"

Checkout the Access boards's monthly webinars. They run about 1.5 hrs per chapter. I find then not nearly long enough but they pack a lot into the time. They are archived so you can go back at any time and are great resources. Presenters are clear and concise with excellent graphics.