• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire rated exterior wall based on separation

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Woops! Need to check myself here. Looks like I overlooked something and want to make sure before I fall on my sword.

2018 IBC, type IIB, B occupancy single story, suppressed office building. I noticed on a revised plan the property line has been re-drawn with a heavier weight and is between 5' and 10' from the line. (didn't notice before due to light line weight but that is no excuse). My belief based on 602, 705.5 and 705.8 is that the exterior bearing wall must be 1-hr, from both sides, with maximum 25% openings. Am I missing something that will allow it....and prevent me from double dipping? The permit hasn't been issued but I did give my comments already and apparently missed it.

The line in question is in the rear of the property and it is an open parcel.

Don't miss footnote g of T602.....Although it looks like that might not work in your case based on distance and use...But it looks like you are correct at this time...At least you caught it prior to field inspection, think of how much money you just saved them...

Don't miss footnote g of T602.....Although it looks like that might not work in your case based on distance and use...But it looks like you are correct at this time...At least you caught it prior to field inspection, think of how much money you just saved them...
G is the first place I went but it doesn't help. I will think of how much money I saved them, but they won't.

I sometimes try to sell it with "Thank God We caught it now before it got built or worse, something happened"....and remember, we get a pretty small plan review time (at least around here) and their design "professional" had a lot longer to get it right...

Very civil and peaceful resolution. I called the architect, I explained that I missed it on round #1, admitted I could have seen it earlier. He said "so should I". Had no problem with revising it. Not too often they work that well but I'll take it!

This is one of the reasons I insist on a code summary page showing all the relevant code references for the construction type, height, and area limitations, setbacks... By doing this I ask them to justify any exceptions or inclusion they are proposing. second, the summary page makes the applicant think about the proposal.

I am also a proponent for large projects the firm should have a separate person or 3rd party do a code analyst of the project.

To my dismay, I heard a BO who is on a school building committee say the code analyst review was rasing the cost of the project just because the codes change over time. I will counter to him that a code review could save money and embarrassment due to correct application of the code before the project is bid, or possibly sav money cost for building by design to compy with the code.

This is one of the reasons I insist on a code summary page showing all the relevant code references for the construction type, height, and area limitations, setbacks... By doing this I ask them to justify any exceptions or inclusion they are proposing. second, the summary page makes the applicant think about the proposal.

I am also a proponent for large projects the firm should have a separate person or 3rd party do a code analyst of the project.

To my dismay, I heard a BO who is on a school building committee say the code analyst review was rasing the cost of the project just because the codes change over time. I will counter to him that a code review could save money and embarrassment due to correct application of the code before the project is bid, or possibly sav money cost for building by design to compy with the code.
I was asked a while ago if I wanted to teach a class what would it be. I said I could spend a whole day on code analysis. I would say a code analysis covers about 90% of my comments. I flag it and return to it dozens of times throughout a review.

We require this as well. I strongly recommend it to any building officials. Saves everyone time in the long run. You get a better submission, because it is a check list that they have checked everything, we don't have to sit around and scratch our heads wondering how they designed it. All you need to do is validate the decisions they made and now there is a record of all the assumptions and code path used to design the building.

To my dismay, I heard a BO who is on a school building committee say the code analyst review was raising the cost of the project just because the codes change over time. I will counter to him that a code review could save money and embarrassment due to correct application of the code before the project is bid, or possibly sav money cost for building by design to compy with the code.

Ct has a third party review setup for school funding....That being said our $80 million remodel that was reviewed and approved with a handful of corrections came back to us for permit review and got about 100 comments, with two of them being a building area issue and improper wind exposure....

We require this as well. I strongly recommend it to any building officials. Saves everyone time in the long run. You get a better submission, because it is a check list that they have checked everything, we don't have to sit around and scratch our heads wondering how they designed it. All you need to do is validate the decisions they made and now there is a record of all the assumptions and code path used to design the building.

See my other current thread about design wind speed. I am trying to validate the wind design by checking it against the adopted design criteria, if they don't have that fundamental element accurate it creates a problem for me. Again, it may be "right", but it isn't accurate. Does that even make sense?