• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Trick to reduce insane plumbing count in old code?

gnarkill283

A project in the Bahamas (code link below) has a business occupant load of 94 people based off of the life safety occupant load (so taking the entire area including incidental storage, corridors, walls but not exterior walls, stairs, elevators):
This requires 3 toilets, 6 urinals, and 4 lavatories for men and 6 toilets and 5 lavatories for women... Meanwhile in the FBC, you'd only need 3 toilets as opposed to 9 (right?). We can't fit 2 toilets and if we had only 80 occupants we'd be fine. Anyone know if there's a trick to reduce the count or will we have to seek an exception?
http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/wcm/c.../Bahamas+Building+Code+3rd+Ed.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

A project in the Bahamas (code link below) has a business occupant load of 94 people based off of the life safety occupant load (so taking the entire area including incidental storage, corridors, walls but not exterior walls, stairs, elevators):
This requires 3 toilets, 6 urinals, and 4 lavatories for men and 6 toilets and 5 lavatories for women... Meanwhile in the FBC, you'd only need 3 toilets as opposed to 9 (right?). We can't fit 2 toilets and if we had only 80 occupants we'd be fine. Anyone know if there's a trick to reduce the count or will we have to seek an exception?
http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/wcm/connect/d7ebcbad-f9b6-42e3-aff2-79f83bd91810/Bahamas+Building+Code+3rd+Ed.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
Presume that you are following Table P (1) on page 36-103 as your fixture counts are consistent with the table. As long as your occupancy aligns with the occupancies identified in the charging statement for that table, then I'd say you have to comply.

Yes, I'd agree that it seems a bit excessive, but if that is the local code, that is what you must do. Not every code is the same, not every code is perfect, but you have to work with what the rules are.

Presume that you are following Table P (1) on page 36-103 as your fixture counts are consistent with the table. As long as your occupancy aligns with the occupancies identified in the charging statement for that table, then I'd say you have to comply.

Yes, I'd agree that it seems a bit excessive, but if that is the local code, that is what you must do. Not every code is the same, not every code is perfect, but you have to work with what the rules are.
So there's no way I can count storage and IT rooms as incidental spaces and not count them towards the occupant count?

It is up to the AHJ.... the code does not suggest that you can, but an AHJ may approve it if proposed and backed up by data.

For those in the US, most will follow the subsequent code section.

[P] 2902.1.1 Fixture Calculations
To determine the occupant load of each sex, the total occupant load shall be divided in half. To determine the required number of fixtures, the fixture ratio or ratios for each fixture type shall be applied to the occupant load of each sex in accordance with Table 2902.1. Fractional numbers resulting from applying the fixture ratios of Table 2902.1 shall be rounded up to the next whole number. For calculations involving multiple occupancies, such fractional numbers for each occupancy shall first be summed and then rounded up to the next whole number.
Exception: The total occupant load shall not be required to be divided in half where approved statistical data indicate a distribution of the sexes of other than 50 percent of each sex.​