• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Window flashing IBC

Alex123

Hi all,

I'm replacing windows in a commercial building (build 1930's) I know there are requirements in the IRC for flashing etc. but I could not find information regarding window replacement in the 2018 IBC. Can anyone point me to where this can be found (if it is required?).

Thank you all!
Alex

The only place is Section 1402.2, which is a performance requirement that the exterior envelope “prevent the accumulation of water within the wall assembly by providing a water-resistive barrier behind the exterior veneer, as described in Section 1403.2, and a means for draining water that enters the assembly to the exterior.”

If you do not provide flashing around a window, the requirement quoted above cannot be achieved.