• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Codes for a platform when exit doors opens out.

Broken Ankles

I came out of a Building door that I was not familiar with that opened out and you had to step down to a platform then a step off platform to sidewalk. I exited the building and step down to platform with sun in my eyes so I had to look straight down. I was holding on to door with my left arm and I suddenly noticed the step to sidewalk that I didn't know was there. There are no railing around the platform nor was the step highlighted to tell you of the step. We measured the door, steps and platform. The step coming out of the building was 9 inches to platform. Then the platform was 36 inches long the same width of the door (step was at the end of the door swung open) and the step down to sidewalk was 8 plus inches. This is a building used by employees and outside visitors and was build 30 plus years ago.

I see in the codes where it reads that a door opening out should have a platform 1 1/2 times the width of the door. That would say the platform should be 54 inches since the door is 36 inches. Am I reading the code correct and is there any exemptions that would cause this code to not be in effect in this case?

Welcome

Sorry for the mishap

Give it a few days for great answers.

Would you say this is a main entrance/ exit. Or a side exit???

Exceptions:
1. A single step with a maximum riser height of 7
inches (178 mm) is permitted for buildings with
occupancies in Groups F, H, R-2, R-3, S and U at
exterior doors not required to be accessible by
Chapter 11.

30 years ago would be 1990,
you didn't indicate type of use, required exit?, city and state it is located in
1. platform is <30" no railing req'd
2. Step at door not cool, landing required
3. Step from landing is 8"!? again, not cool
4. single step hand rail req'd?; not back then, later code requirement

BOCA allowed an 8" or so step onto the landing, and 8" risers in many occupancies until the 1987 edition.

You need to find out what code (if any) the building was permitted under.

Looks like "Broken Ankles" made his post and disappeared.

Betting he isn't too worried about the code, but who is going to "pay" for his broken ankle.