• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Confirming Information about the Mercantile Building Code

vanarnd1

Hello,

I am in the very early process of looking at commercial locations for a hobby retail store that would sell trading cards/games. It would also have tables and chairs set up for people to play these games (hopefully in safer times in the future).

From looking at the available IBC information, this would appear to fall under the Mercantile building code for occupancy. I am surprised that the floor area per occupant is 60 square foot for this type of business That would mean that a 1200 sq foot space could only hold roughly 20 people. From my experience in the past going to other gaming/hobby shops, it feels like these type of businesses have been filled with people at a greater rate.

To assist with my planning, I wanted to confirm that 1) Mercantile is the correct code for this type of business, and 2) 60 sq foot per occupancy is the correct load limit and that I applied it correctly with a 1200 sq foot building as an example.

Thank you in advance for any assistance provided.

The mercantile occupancy group would be correct. For occupant load, the area with tables and chairs would be based on an occupant load factor of 15 sf/occupant for unconcentrated assembly. The area where merchandise is on display, the occupant load factor would be 60 sf/occupant.

As stated above some of your thoughts are correct

For the table/ gaming are it is a good idea to limit that area to 750 sq ft, after that you start running into more code requirements

So sales area say 1500 sq ft and table area 750

If you have never been in business before, it is a good idea to start small

you kind of think 1200 sq ft and 20 people is small,,, But if you could get 20 people to come to your place half the time you would be happy

= > = > = >

vanard1,

And Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :D

The Mercantile Occupancy Group is your initial starting
point........Also, don't forget about the ADA \ Accessibility
requirements, from where the customers will be parking,
...in to the store, ...the Restrooms, ...access aisles, etc.

< = < = < =

Thank you all for your responses, the differential between the assembly portion makes more sense.

So just to drill down using a 1200 sq ft total area example, if I wanted to have tables and chairs set up in a separate section for 32 people, this would require 480 sq ft(32x15). Then in the remaining 720 sq ft that is not for assembly, I could have 12 people at once (60 sq foot x 12). So that would create a total max occupancy of 44?

And regarding local regulations and more in depth requirements, is that something a tenant broker rep would be familiar with? Or would you check with someone in the zoning department of a township first?

The real estate broker should be able to provide the initial info about zoning, and if he has a lot of experience he might have insight into similar situations.

Thank you all for your responses, the differential between the assembly portion makes more sense.

So just to drill down using a 1200 sq ft total area example, if I wanted to have tables and chairs set up in a separate section for 32 people, this would require 480 sq ft(32x15). Then in the remaining 720 sq ft that is not for assembly, I could have 12 people at once (60 sq foot x 12). So that would create a total max occupancy of 44?

And regarding local regulations and more in depth requirements, is that something a tenant broker rep would be familiar with? Or would you check with someone in the zoning department of a township first?

I always suggest checking with the building official. If they are nice and have the time, I suggest a pre walk with them on the building you want to use,,,, BEFORE you sign any paperwork. Besides the seating or how many people you can stick in a building, there are other code issues, that can cost MONEY..

For your concept, just think of a semi small starbucks,,,, there is sales area and seating area.

Those calculations are use to determine the minimum design occupant load of a given space. You can always increase the the amount of people allowed in the mercantile sales floor as long as the egress & plumbing fixture count has been designed to accommodate the higher load.

The seating area in a business like this give me pause.....I have taken my nephew to Magic The Gathering tournaments at a local business just like what the OP describes....The place is packed with people sitting down playing, and people standing around watching a or standing waiting to play. Based on what I experienced defiantly feels more like a mixed use M / A occupancy

One of my local comic book places is proposing something now and hopefully finds a good designer. Egress out of the former rear storage area will be an issue...