• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Freestanding ground level deck questions

hoosiertallguy

Installing-the-rim-joists-600x354.png

My proposed deck. All lumber is 2X10. The joists, unlike the above dimension, will be 9.5 feet and 16" OC. The beams will be 12' and constructed as illustrated above. The concrete piers will be 6' apart. One variation in the above is that I want the beams to extend beyond the footing/concrete piers 16". That's a 16" cantilever the beams will be supporting.

It's a ground level freestanding deck.

Thanks.

How do you figure the joists will be 9’-6” if the outside dims are 12’x12’?
Sorry. The dimensions in the picture are simply what I was able to copy and paste. It's a generic internet design.

The actual dimensions of my deck will be 9 1/2 feet by 12 feet.

The beams will actually be 13 feet, 4 inches. That's with the 16 inch cantilever.

welcome

With my amateur deck building, I would suggest support of the cantilever.

Is this a forum where we help individuals design their structure?

Maybe he needs to hire an architect or engineer.

We can offer generic help, such as a link to the dca document, or we can wait and tell him what he should have done when it fails inspection. Or fails.

Without looking, sounds reasonable....If it is less than 30" high it is exempt from building permit here...Do you need a permit and will the local building department be doing a plan review?

Maybe he needs to hire an architect or engineer.

For a 9' x 13' deck? I'm not sure I'd spend a thousand dollars for instructions on how to build a thousand dollar structure, but I guess maybe you could swindle someone into that....

Did you say treated lumber?
Plywood may not be necessary.
Decks are allowed to cantilever a little with some added blocking not to exceed 3-ft.

I wouldn't put plywood in the beams on exterior construction, because even treated exterior plywood will deteriorate and delaminate with the cut edge racing up. The double 2x10 is strong enough without the plywood.

Not 100% sure if Glen's courses offer all the information needed, but for the price they would offer really good information in general. I think individual deck courses are offered for 100.00 or less. Glen, you out there?? Maybe you could suggest which ones would be best.

https://buildingcodecollege.com/

I just picked up on the 1/2” ply between the beam members. The OP mentioned this sketch is a generic one he copied ... looks like he needs help. The ply spacer is to make the beam assembly the same width as the top of pier bracket. Ok, but other ways to solve that: a different bracket, or use a double 2x beam and add a solid wood shim on the side of the beam where it goes through the bracket.