• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

30 Years

conarb

I left here the first of the year but felt I had to come back and post this article I came across:

Thirty years ago, President George H.W. Bush signed [7/26/1990] the Americans with Disabilities Act, which was supposed to create a new era of equality and justice. Instead, the ADA often turns disabilities into assets, encouraging far more people to claim to be disabled to receive special treatment or privileges. The ADA’s breadth and vagueness have spurred a deluge of absurd federal decrees and more than half a million lawsuits that risk stigmatizing people the law sought to assist.

The ADA is essentially a federal command for people to treat certain other people “nice”- with harsh penalties for any behavior considered not nice – and with niceness defined on a case-by-case basis through endless court cases and complaint settlements. Anyone who is disabled acquires a legal right to request accommodations from employers and others, with the federal government and private lawyers waiting to sue anyone who fails to “accommodate.” Congress defined “disability” far more broadly than most Americans recognize, including anyone who claims they have significant trouble standing, lifting, bending, reading, concentrating, or thinking.

The ADA is known as “Attorney’s Dreams Answered.” According to lawyer Mark Pulliam, the ADA “may be the most widely-abused law in our history…. Nationwide, a cottage industry has developed among a bottom-feeding element of the plaintiffs’ bar that specializes in bringing a high volume of cookie-cutter lawsuits against small businesses for technical violations of the ADA, and extorting quick settlements of several thousand dollars each.” Federal judges have characterized mass-produced ADA lawsuits as a “sham” and “an ongoing scheme to bilk attorneys’ fees from the defendant.” ¹

¹ https://www.aier.org/article/after-30-years-did-the-disabilities-act-work/

True facts but:
This should have been forseen but in the rush to implement the law it was ignored and enforcement lacked adequate budget while relying on the states to implement it if they chose to (many didn't). They also failed to establish a safe harbor by not completing code reviews.
Any different then civil rights laws today?
Hindsite is never pretty (like a plumber's ....)

Any different then civil rights laws today?

That's one of my points, all civil rights laws are unconstitutional and have failed miserably at actually helping anyone, we had a Halloween Party shooting here where 5 black guys were killed, the police arrested 5 other black guys, the black DA released all 5 without charges stating that "5 black men's lives have been destroyed, it doesn't make any sense to destroy another 5 black men's lives by putting them in prison." I had to think I live in a society where some people can kill each other with impunity, meanwhile a building inspector can tell me how much water my toilet and shower can use.

Forgot, "Good to hear from ya!"

"Wondered if you were on "double secret probation?"

Welcome back CA, I know we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, but good to know you are still this side of the sod! ;)

Good to hear from you again. I agree with the intent of ADA. I just wish the feds had come up with a better way to achieve it.