• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Level 3 Renovation Level and Fire Sprinklers R2

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Fire sprinklers are required under certain conditions for a Level 3 renovation and that points to Chapter 8 of the Existing Building Code (your IEBC, my FBC Existing. The language is almost identical, however and reads this way in Chapter 8:

804.2.2Groups A, B, E, F-1, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4, S-1 and S-2.
In buildings with occupancies in Groups A, B, E, F-1, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4, S-1 and S-2, work areas that have exits or corridors shared by more than one tenant or that have exits or corridors serving an occupant load greater than 30 shall be provided with automatic sprinkler protection where all of the following conditions occur:

1. 1.The work area is required to be provided with automatic sprinkler protection in accordance with the Florida Building Code, Building as applicable to new construction; and
  2. 2.The work area exceeds 50 percent of the floor area.

So when we look at the example below, you will see that there is an open entryway to the 3 units. At the top of the exterior stairs you can go left into D1 for unit 1, go straight through D2 to get to the 2nd floor unit 2 or make a right and go through D3 which leads to unit 3. Out the back, the 2 lower units exit to grade through sliders and the 2nd floor unit uses the stairs you see and an exterior spiral staircase. Therefore, they do not share any corridors and each has their own exits. With that being said, I don't see how they can be mandated to install fire sprinklers.

To give you some context, this was a 4 unit NS with 2 up and 2 down undergoing a major renovation which includes turning the 2 units upstairs into one large one, renovations to the lower units and changing the layout of the structure. Here is the front entrance as described: Thoughts? FS or no FS?

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 16.26.59.png

JAR, are any of the exits shared? If this was new construction would it require to be sprinkled? Is the work area greater than 50%, if the answer to all 3 is yes then sprinklers are required in my opinion.

Follow up question in your juristrictisn how are appeals of your decisions handled?

JAR, are any of the exits shared? If this was new construction would it require to be sprinkled? Is the work area greater than 50%, if the answer to all 3 is yes then sprinklers are required in my opinion.

Follow up question in your juristrictisn how are appeals of your decisions handled?

No exits are shared but the answer to the other 2 are yes.
Appeals go to an appeals board, not for variance but for verification the code was properly interpreted. In this case, I think the FD will be requiring sprinklers even if we don't. We shall see.

We have a state appeals board here 3 members, made up of members of the BBRS
who represent the following groups Building trades, Registered professional engineer who is a structural engineer, Inspector of buildings in a town, Registered Architect, Head of a local fire department, Registered professional engineer who is a mechanical engineer, Building contractor of one or two-family homes, Inspector of buildings in a city, General contractors of commercial or industrial building, DFS State Fire Marshal, DPL Commissioner

The appeals board tries always to have a Fire Marshall designee and Building official on it with the 3rd being from the remaing usaly work out well

I don’t see how you can avoid sprinklers. Clearly you pass the 50% work area threshold. And you are essentially gutting the entire second floor and doing significant work on the first floor. Doesn’t this trigger the need to meet current codes?

Sliding doors cannot be part of a means of egress unless powered per 2015 IBC 1010.1.4.3.
Spiral stairways can only be used as a means of egress per IBC 1011.10
So wouldn't this mean the tenants share the front entrance door as an exit?

Also would not the Foyer be defined as a corridor?

CORRIDOR. An enclosed exit access component that
defines and provides a path of egress travel.

I think I understand a little better now....I would look at required egress when it was built to determine "shared" per the code at the time ....And that will def be the place where it all hinges

Sliding doors cannot be part of a means of egress unless powered per 2015 IBC 1010.1.4.3.
Spiral stairways can only be used as a means of egress per IBC 1011.10
So wouldn't this mean the tenants share the front entrance door as an exit?

Also would not the Foyer be defined as a corridor?

CORRIDOR. An enclosed exit access component that
defines and provides a path of egress travel.

The sliders are a bonus to grade as an exit but the required egress is out the front, so the sliders are not an issue.

Nothing they share would meet the definition of Corridor

The Work Area is only the area being reconfigured (walls being moved). Decorating or mechanical/electrical work in spaces that aren't reconfigured doesn't count as Work Area. This can make a difference when determining whether the Work Area exceeds 50%.