• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial to Residential

gringosgarage1

I recently purchased a very large building that was once a retirement home and multiple other things throughout it's life. we purchased it as a residence due to our large family and the ability to do more with the building than just live in it. My question has to do with sprinklered vs non sprinklered. There is a wing of the house that is 3 levels counting the basement. two levels were once a 25 bed retirement home. the building is separate from the main part of the house by a 6'x 7' metal roll down fire door and each floor has one. the building is 12" thick block and brick, and the floor and walls are concrete including all collumns and supports. interior walls are wood built with 1/2" sheetrock and 3/4" plaster concrete mix over the top;. we want to put the wing back into service for air b and b and or future bed and breakfast. we are not making any alterations to the existing rooms except paint and new updated fixtures. what are the requirements for sprinklers. currently each floor has 6 rooms so 12 total 6 bathrooms and a couple storage closets per floor. The 2nd story has fire escapes in place and double doors. the main floor has 3 exits two outside and one back into the main part of the house. hallway is almost 8' wide and exit doors are 6' double doors in and out. looking for direction

Find a designer or code consultant in your area....It will be money well spent....Or talk to the local officials and maybe they can help....

sorry for the non helpful answer which is "it depends"

it depends on
the square footage of the building
in some cases if sufficient water is available
the amount of work done in the building
the code in place at time of renovations
the zoning in place at the time of renovation
the actual construction type of the building parts
the actual use group that is presented for the uses of the building
the actual rating of the walls and doors separating the part of the buildings
possible more factors that are case specific and will be uncovered by the registered design professional code analyst of the building and changes

Last edited:
I recently purchased a very large building that was once a retirement home and multiple other things throughout it's life. we purchased it as a residence due to our large family and the ability to do more with the building than just live in it. My question has to do with sprinklered vs non sprinklered. There is a wing of the house that is 3 levels counting the basement. two levels were once a 25 bed retirement home. the building is separate from the main part of the house by a 6'x 7' metal roll down fire door and each floor has one. the building is 12" thick block and brick, and the floor and walls are concrete including all collumns and supports. interior walls are wood built with 1/2" sheetrock and 3/4" plaster concrete mix over the top;. we want to put the wing back into service for air b and b and or future bed and breakfast. we are not making any alterations to the existing rooms except paint and new updated fixtures. what are the requirements for sprinklers. currently each floor has 6 rooms so 12 total 6 bathrooms and a couple storage closets per floor. The 2nd story has fire escapes in place and double doors. the main floor has 3 exits two outside and one back into the main part of the house. hallway is almost 8' wide and exit doors are 6' double doors in and out. looking for direction
You need to find a licensed architect in your area. Way too many variables for us to consider here.

Not a B n B, you are proposing a boarding house with that many rooms. It would be seen as a transient lodging.

I always heard that the Building Line was so your neighbors building doesn't block your site of ICE coming down the street so you can hurry up and hide in the cellar? Or maybe that was a fire truck?

Welcome, your thread needs to be moved for better answers. Will try to get that done.

I am going with more than likely fire sprinklers required.,