• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Anyone know of any good zoning forums?

The other option is sell the house and buy another house where I can build a steel building on residential land as an accessory structure, but I kind of like the industrial zoned building better cause I can lease it out for income later down the line.

They won't be unannounced but they may have once a year inspections if the have a Fire Code.
Also per the building code you may need sprinklers for woodworking and truck and boat storage.

Can't a realtor help you with this?

Possibly but that's like listening to a car sales man tell you the car runs great and works perfect. Although I do believe a realtor has more liability if he sells you something that won't work for your needs.

I think you are thinking to generically on this. As someone else pointed out each municipality and in fact each zoning district within each municipality is different. If you are going to try to continue to navigate this on your own you will need to read and understand all the local definitions, what each zone encompasses and where each zone is located. Don't assume because an area allows warehouses that it automatically allows for your specific use(s). We have areas which have warehouses for manufacturing, or distribution, or self storage. Each of these uses are in separate districts You are best served by a land use attorney or consultant to get you where you want to be.

I've ever in have a buddy thats going to build a shop in an unincorporated area and he says in these areas governed only by the county that you don't even need a building permit, you just make sure you aren't building too close to the easement and that's it. I find that hard to believe though.

I've ever in have a buddy thats going to build a shop in an unincorporated area and he says in these areas governed only by the county that you don't even need a building permit, you just make sure you aren't building too close to the easement and that's it. I find that hard to believe though.

When you get outside of incorporated areas the rules may be significantly reduced or eliminated unless you have a strong county government. Don't let the lack of needing a permit confused with actual requirements. Insurance rates are high in these areas due to a lack of good building code enforcement and you can run into trouble when a mortgage company wants a C of O or SBA wants proof of a permit. There is a tradeoff for lack of enforcement.

I found a 2 acre empty lot that's flat and cleared of trees also outside of city limits. Just waiting on some up to date building estimates for a 4800 sq ft 18ft tall building with 3 or 4 bay doors in it. I got a quote about a year ago for $160,000 completed foundation and all. Apparantly all these buildings you see for sale online for $30k are just the building themselves. I'm tempted to put an offer in now for the lot, but would hate to find out they want like $300k. Hopefully someone doesn't put a bid in before me. I guess I could just consider it an investment and lease out a portion of it if the steel building idea doesn't workout.