• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Front porch post

Rab2020

Am I able to cut a channel length wise down a 6x6 post in order to hide electrical wires inside PVC post sleeve?

No....Structurally it could work depending on the notch size as the IRC is abysmal on post stuff....But you would also need wet location wiring and it would have to be protected from damage...

No....Structurally it could work depending on the notch size as the IRC is abysmal on post stuff....But you would also need wet location wiring and it would have to be protected from damage...
What if it’s a 1/2” channel with metal conduit?

You might do research into a new post, or column. My first concern with your idea of cutting a channel is compromising the structural integrity of the post. Some wood posts have a hollow core,so that could be used for the proper wire.

Am I able to cut a channel length wise down a 6x6 post in order to hide electrical wires inside PVC post sleeve?

From a structural standpoint, I don't see any issues providing the post is properly sized to begin with the the vertical load imposed and any other loads if anything else is attached to it. As far as the electrical, this is what the NEC says in 300.4

(F) Cables and Raceways Installed in Shallow Grooves. Cable or
raceway-type wiring methods installed in a groove, to be
covered by wallboard, siding, paneling, carpeting, or similar
finish, shall be protected by 1.6 mm (1∕16 in.) thick steel plate,
sleeve, or equivalent or by not less than 32-mm (11∕4-in.) free
space for the full length of the groove in which the cable or
raceway is installed.
Exception No. 1: Steel plates, sleeves, or the equivalent shall not be
required to protect rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit,
rigid nonmetallic conduit, or electrical metallic tubing.
Exception No. 2: A listed and marked steel plate less than 1.6 mm
(1∕16 in.) thick that provides equal or better protection against nail or
screw penetration shall be permitted.

From a structural standpoint, I don't see any issues providing the post is properly sized to begin with the the vertical load imposed and any other loads if anything else is attached to it. As far as the electrical, this is what the NEC says in 300.4

(F) Cables and Raceways Installed in Shallow Grooves. Cable or
raceway-type wiring methods installed in a groove, to be
covered by wallboard, siding, paneling, carpeting, or similar
finish, shall be protected by 1.6 mm (1∕16 in.) thick steel plate,
sleeve, or equivalent or by not less than 32-mm (11∕4-in.) free
space for the full length of the groove in which the cable or
raceway is installed.
Exception No. 1: Steel plates, sleeves, or the equivalent shall not be
required to protect rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit,
rigid nonmetallic conduit, or electrical metallic tubing.
Exception No. 2: A listed and marked steel plate less than 1.6 mm
(1∕16 in.) thick that provides equal or better protection against nail or
screw penetration shall be permitted.
Or do you think it would be better to drill a hole directly in the center from the top, down to where Light fixture will be?

Seems like rout a channel, as long as not to deep, should not be a problem.

How deep do you think you need?? Three wires??

I am not an engineer or in to structural

% ~ %

Rab2020,

IMO, ...for aesthetics, drilling down the middle is the way
to go.

% ~ %

It’s a 6x6x8 #2 pressure treated post, with a thin PVC sleeve that slides over it.
I'd be willing to bet that a 4x4 would have been ok, so routing a 3/4" channel should be no problem at all.

A 3/4"x3/4" channel would only reduce the cross-sectional area of a 6x6 post by 1.86% anyways. This is negligible.

Go for it.

I'd be willing to bet that a 4x4 would have been ok, so routing a 3/4" channel should be no problem at all.

A 3/4"x3/4" channel would only reduce the cross-sectional area of a 6x6 post by 1.86% anyways. This is negligible.

Go for it.

But it is holding up 20,000# and is 14' tall.....

Why so? If you can approve a non-prescriptive notch in a post, why can you not approve a heavy post or tall?
R301.3. Your speculative 14-ft tall post would require engineering as it exceeds the permissible prescriptive story height.

Fish story

“””It’s a 6x6x8 #2 pressure treated post, with a thin PVC sleeve that slides over it.“””