• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

fire sprinkler main flush

I have a UG Loop of about 700 feet and they were trying to use two 2-1/2" hoses to get the 10fts velocity. I told them there was no way but we could see what's in the line just for the heck of it. We ran the flow test for 20 minutes and pipe shavings came out so they didn't pass. How long would I need to flow the 10" loop line at each of the 6 hydrants using four 4-1/2" hoses? Would that give me the 2,440 gpm needed for flushing? Can you provide the math logic you used to create that chart?

Just open say three of the steamer connections, let them flow till you are happy, and than do the same to the other three.

Not sure why you are getting debris, after all that water has flowed?

I would say no matter what the flow rated is, I would want to see no debris at the end of the time.

A chart could only be used as a hydraulic guide. Without physical or electronic measurement I could not accept. Since this discussion, I have traveled to many presentations that I gave on fire protection systems maintenance and testing with my box.

The box holds physical aids for the presentations since I had to learn the actual definitions for pebble, stone, rock and boulder in testimony preparation. The prep was necessary after a national chain 1.8 million s.f. distribution center replaced (2) fire pumps during a commissioning test due to foreign object damage I warned could occur. I collected evidence and used it. It was a Perry Mason moment I grin at every time I have to give the reference in a presentation.