• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Using OSB on exposed areas?

There's no "maybe" about it.
You are a complicated old coot, but i love you just the same. First you say that they have
been using short nails on millions of roofs with no problems, and then you admit it’s been
wrong all along. At least you have an open mind.
I told my wife I had an open mind and she “yeah and your brains fell out”.

I wanted to post a follow up on this. I met with the owner of the roofing company this morning. He was very understanding and apologetic, and is going to redo all the work. He is going to have his crew come back, pull the shingles and nails from over the eaves and redo it all with shorter nails, fix a rotten spot in a roof board they overlooked, and redo the flashing. I found out that the barge rafter was never formally put into the work agreement and he was pretty ticked with his people for not only doing the work without proper documentation but also having someone do such a crappy job. He asked if I knew any contractors who could do it and I told him that I've been doing my own carpentry work for 40 years now---I only allowed this to be built because I was out of town. So he is going to sub it out to me to redo the rafter, which I will and do it correctly. As for the OSB, he assured me it was rated for exterior use so I am going to let it ride and paint with a good thick coat of paint. We all parted ways with a handshake and an agreement. I am glad I'm not in his shoes though... that's going to be a lot of work on their part to correct all of it.

Thank you everyone for your help. It's been a long time since I've been able to come to a forum, post a question, and actually get usable information.

You are a complicated old bastard, but i love you just the same. First you say that they have been using short nails on millions of roofs with no problems, and then you admit it’s been wrong all along. At least you havevan open mind.
I told my wife i had an open mind and she “yeah and your brains fell out”.

The point you make here reminds me of how we didn't find one nail penetrating through the sheathing in all the Craftsman style houses we could find in our neighborhood. We walked the streets and found 20-something houses with newer roofs...none of them had nails protruding or had any extra material installed under the roof deck to hide nails. I don't know how they are doing it if they aren't using short nails.

Every now and then, someone will blast nails through the plywood and it happens with lumber too. The owner is crestfallen that he hired the guy. The owner wants me to make it right. The guy wants a code section. I make one. Then a supervisor reverses the correction....but not everyone is smart enough to go to the office.

And by the way, there’s no code that requires the contractor to remove the shingle debris from rain gutters either. Supervisors don’t bother telling me about those contractor complaints.

You can see the mess in the picture and think that it’s okay? I have had cases where the owner hired another person to cover the underside of the rafter tails.

Did I mention the long history of using short nails with no problems. It’s not my fault that the code needs my help.

Last edited:
@ ~ @ ~ @

**fosgate3**,

We are glad that this Forum could help you with your application.
Now, we would like to request your help !.......For this GREAT
resource to be able to continue takes commitment & resources.
Would you consider becoming a regular member by purchasing
a subscription to this Forum ?......By doing so, you would become
what we call a Sawhorse........If you are interested in doing so,
please send a Private Message to
** jeff546 ** [ < - - - the Forum
owner ], and discuss payment options........I believe the current
rate is $60.00 for a 2 year subscription.

Thank you for your consideration, and for coming to this Forum.

P.S. Please take pictures of your house after the re-do and
come back and post `em here. :)

@ ~ @ ~ @

I'm not seeing install instructions allowing staples.

Have the codes changed to disallow staples?

Seems like the UBC allowed them?

I'm not seeing install instructions allowing staples.

Have the codes changed to disallow staples?

Seems like the UBC allowed them?

R905.2.5 Fasteners. Fasteners for asphalt shingles shall be galvanized steel, stainless steel, aluminum or copper roofing nails, minimum 12-gage [0.105 inch] shank with a minimum 3/8 -inch-diameter head, complying with ASTM F1667, of a length to penetrate through the roofing materials and not less than 3/4 inch into the roof sheathing. Where the roof sheathing is less than 3/4 inch thick, the fasteners shall penetrate through the sheathing.

No mention of staples. In the section for wood shake and wood shingle the staples are mentioned and approved.