• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

completed 4800 sq ft metal building cost estimate

Eddie_23

I'm looking to have a metal building made and noticed that the prices you see on the internet where they only want $25,000 for a 5000 square foot building is because it's just the materials they're charging for.

I was looking for a cost to build a complete steel building 80 wide by 60 deep 18-20 ft eve height with (4)16ft tall bay doors 12ft wide all in the front. The inside of the structure will just be wide open inside. Code calls for the structure to be 18in above the road and the lot is flat and about level with the road, so it would need dirt brought in to raise it up 18in.

Anyone have a rough ball park estimate for what this would cost for both the structure and foundation? This is in Texas in galveston county and it's outside city limits, but it does need to be windstorm certified. I'm just looking for a rough estimate with costs broken down like this

Cost of fill dirt:
building cost:
foundation cost:
delivery cost:
Labor:
Electrical cost:

Is that a joke? A year ago I got a quote of around $160,000 concrete slab all the way to the roof. This is just a residential metal building

Eddie - We are a bunch of code geeks around here. Mostly code officials and design professionals. We can guess, but we don't know what the cost of construction in your area is. You're going to have to do some leg work.... we cant answer this question for you, at least not accurately.

But be prepared to hire an engineer to design the foundation system. Once designed, get a couple bids from local contractors.

Is that a joke? A year ago I got a quote of around $160,000 concrete slab all the way to the roof. This is just a residential metal building

Yeah, but in Cali you have your environmental impact fees and utility fees and you have to design for seismic, snow loading, urban wildlife interface fee, 3rd party design fees...lol...Like Ty said...a lot more goes into it depending on where you live....and the steel building company just wants to sell you a building, and sometimes, what they want to sell you doesn't even meet code in your area...

Yeah, but in Cali you have your environmental impact fees and utility fees and you have to design for seismic, snow loading, urban wildlife interface fee, 3rd party design fees...lol...Like Ty said...a lot more goes into it depending on where you live....and the steel building company just wants to sell you a building, and sometimes, what they want to sell you doesn't even meet code in your area...
Exactly....

And it is not just a slab. It is footings, which typically have to be designed by an engineer, interior slab, earthwork, exterior paving and hardscapes, stormwater management, etc.

4800 sq. ft? at 100/sq.ft might bring it in at 480K
Depends on how inexpensive the metal building is.

I got a quote today by a building manufacturer. They just build the buildings, but it quoted $58,000.for the building, but said the price of steel is down now due to low demand.
4800 sq. ft? at 100/sq.ft might bring it in at 480K
Depends on how inexpensive the metal building is.[/QUOTEi

I've gotten quotes between 43-$65,000 for just the building itself. I do believe that includes all the engineered drawings to give to the city for permit approval too. Around here $480k buys you an existing building that's 15-30 years old with lots of concrete parking and probably doesn't have a water detention pond. Those are zoned commercial and they won't let me use a commercial building just to store personal stuff and do hobby work. They want a business in their making tax dollars.

At least that's my understanding, they won't come right out and directly say that though.

They just build the buildings, but it quoted $58,000.for the building
Add another $10/sf for the slab and $10/sf for site work and utilities and money for permits and environmentalal stuff, and pretty soon you’re talking real money.

Go back to the salesman who told you $58,000 and ask him for the name of a contractor they have worked with who can do a turn key job for you, and get a number from him.

Actually he quoted like $43,000 for the building. Said the price of steel is down due to covid, but yeah he did give me and erection estimate by using square foot numbers on the high end. $10/sq ft labor to assemble. $10/ sq ft for the slab. 27 loads of dirt @ $400/load etc. I guess we were up to about 105,000 plus the building cost.

Actually he quoted like $43,000 for the building. Said the price of steel is down due to covid, but yeah he did give me and erection estimate by using square foot numbers on the high end. $10/sq ft labor to assemble. $10/ sq ft for the slab. 27 loads of dirt @ $400/load etc. I guess we were up to about 105,000 plus the building cost.
Your math isn't right.
Building $43,000
Erection $10/sf x 4800 = $48,000
Slab $10/sf = $48,000
Dirt 27 loads x $400 = $10,800 and that’s just dumped, not spread and compacted
Total $149,800 and a lot of missing pieces.

electrical?, lights?, plumbing?, ventilation?, windows?, interior finishes?, hardscape? landscaping?

electrical?, lights?, plumbing?, ventilation?, windows?, interior finishes?, hardscape? landscaping?
We’re wasting our time responding to him with facts, he’s delusional. None of his posts on this or other subjects makes sense. For this building, all he needs to do is have one meeting with a qualified gc and he can get a reasonable ballpark number ... but he would rather post gibberish.

I'll ask some contractors locally. Still waiting for that one to get back to me. I have a feeling he's not going to. That was Monday I met with him at the lot I wanted to buy. Sent him a drawing of what i wanted the next morning like he asked.

We’re wasting our time responding to him with facts, he’s delusional. None of his posts on this or other subjects makes sense. For this building, all he needs to do is have one meeting with a qualified gc and he can get a reasonable ballpark number ... but he would rather post gibberish.

Not delusional, just given inacurrent info a year or so ago, butnthats what I get for listening to the steel building maker. They just want to sell the building and move to the next guy.

It just means I need to find a cheaper piece of land to stay in the budget of $230- $250,000

How long does it take to get an estimate back from a contractor. I called like 5 days later and he hasn't done anything.

I would think a local contractor should be able to give a semi accurate quote on the spot especially if you show him the property. I guess on Monday I'll call up All the local guys for a quote.