• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

cooking demonstration kitchen

505.4 Other than Group R. In other than Group R occupancies,
where domestic cooking appliances are utilized for
domestic purposes, such appliances shall be provided with
domestic range hoods. Hoods and exhaust systems shall be in
accordance with Sections 505.1 and 505.2.

Well, that is not very helpful....

The Macquarie Dictionary relevantly defines domestic as: adjective 1. of or relating to the home, the household, or household affairs. The Oxford Dictionary of English defines domestic as: adjective 1. relating to the running of a home or to family relations: domestic chores | domestic violence.  of or for use in the home rather than in an industrial or office environment: domestic water supplies.

Between that and the 2018 tweak I am sure we can get there....

Consider that the size, gauge of metal and BTU's of commercial equip. often differ from residential equip.

I don't agree with it, don't get me wrong, but under the 2015, my hands are sort of tied. I would happily send them to the State to get a modification to use 2018, but that is how it works here...We have to enforce "as written" and the State makes formal interpretations or modifications so that we are on "one State code"...That no one enforces the same....;)

OK, got it.

Would you have the latitude to accept a hood with a built in fire suppression system listed to UL 300A under alternate methods? These are the ones required in I1 and I2 occupancies for domestic use. They have a built in fire suppression system, baffle grease filters, are ducted to the outside with standard duct, and are interlocked with the appliances. They're kind of a residential hood on steroids. More expensive than a normal residential hood but a lot cheaper than a full type I system.

Not in CA. We go by 2015 IBC and ICC/ANSI !117.1 - 2006.

Would you have the latitude to accept a hood with a built in fire suppression system listed to UL 300A under alternate methods? These are the ones required in I1 and I2 occupancies for domestic use. They have a built in fire suppression system, baffle grease filters, are ducted to the outside with standard duct, and are interlocked with the appliances. They're kind of a residential hood on steroids. More expensive than a normal residential hood but a lot cheaper than a full type I system.

With a less than medium duty appliance and a "no grease and smoke" menu...Yes....

A long time ago, I once had a project where the inspector asked a similar question. Here in LA, there was a cooking show that was being filmed at a television studio. The conclusion was that it was neither a commercial kitchen nor a residential kitchen - - it was a functional stage set that resembled a residential kitchen, for purposes of creating instructional video content.

It was also decided that if somebody else did want to try and call it a kitchen, it would most closely resemble a residential kitchen, since the purpose of the instruction was how to cook for yourself in your home.

I am the originator of this thread. By way of explanation, I am the Building Official and the Fire Marshal shares my office, we had discussed this situation and thought that some peer review could be enlightening in this case. It is easy to make a hasty decision, so I sought your input. Thanks all, you have helped.